Help with cycling/numbers!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank (115 gallon) has been up and running for months and I can't seem to get my numbers down any lower than they are. I do all of my water changes and no change. Here's what I have:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - Between 0 & 5

Here-s my stock :115 gallon
1 common pleco
2 blood parrots
5 angels
4 clown loachs
1 red fin shark
6 ruby barbs (new addition)
1 black ghost knife (new addition)
1 goldfish (common) (4-5")

Do you think it's my Goldfish that's the cause of my ammonia levels? Will the fish be ok with these numbers? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Well in a cycle ammanio will still appear. When you see zero ammonia it is cycled. Goldfish do better in cold water setups though.....

Get a bottle of distilled water, test it and compare it to the test results of the tank and your tap. If they are all the same color you know it's the test kit. Some ammonia tests show a slightly green result for 0.

I suggest you rehome the goldfish. It is a pond fish and requires lower temperatures than the rest if your fish.

Cycling Question

My tank (115 gallon) has been up and running for months and I can't seem to get my numbers down any lower than they are. I do all of my water changes and no change. Here's what I have:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - Between 0 & 5

Here-s my stock :115 gallon
1 common pleco
2 blood parrots
5 angels
4 clown loachs
1 red fin shark
6 ruby barbs (new addition)
1 black ghost knife (new addition)
1 goldfish (common) (4-5")

Do you think it's my Goldfish that's the cause of my ammonia levels? Will the fish be ok with these numbers? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Hello coal...

Your ammonia and nitrites need to consistantly read "0" and this cycling process takes a long time. So, I would review the amount of water you change. Small water changes are about as good as nothing, IMO. If you're not removing and replacing at least half the tank water, then I don't think you'll get the ammonia into the safe zone.

Just check the water chemistry daily, this will alert you to any dangerous buildup of ammonia and nitrite. When the levels rise, a large water change will bring the tank into the safe zone.

By flushing a lot of pure, treated water through your tank regularly, pollutants won't have time to build up in the water.

B

Thanks for all your responses. I'll try to do more 50% water changes as well as test my tap water.

I'll feel really bad rehoming the Goldfish as he/she is responsible for getting me back into the hobby. So we'll see....

your ammonia should go down after you do a PWC. I am still new to all this and have been struggling myself with the ammonia numbers but can tell you that it should go down.
try this. do a PWC and then an hour or so later test the ammonia again. your number should go down. if not I would guess that your water change was not large enough. also test your tap water. I was told to get some water, let it sit overnight and then test for ammonia. if your tap water has ammonia of .25 you may not get it lower than that. that is a little over my knowledge level at this point.
I was just shown this link and found it very informative. you might want to check it out as well.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

hope this helps!

Well, I did another 50% water change and retested. Ammonia levels still read 0.25. So, I then tested my tap water and it's 0.25 as well. So is that pretty much it. Is there any way to get the Ammonia levels to 0,or am I stuck at 0.25 since that's what my tap water is?

Back
Top Bottom