Help with dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amicus said:
That's why we're all here and compassion, IMO plays possibly one of the largest roles.

Well said. It definitely does.

Wait until it's completely clear that the fish cannot be saved and is in major pain before euthanizing in any case. Try everything before this last resort to relieve the fishes' pain.

I still haven't seen anything about water quality here. The change in color could be due to chemical burns from ammonia, chlorine, etc.

We want to help you, but we need more information first!

The "pink" sounds like amonia/nitrate poisoning. If you haven't already done so-I would be doing some partial water changes (25% daily) and using some epsoms salts (could also have bloat issues). I am also big on the Pimafix/Melafix to help relieve stress and perk up your fish.

How is the water testing ? & how often are you doing partial water changes? Bala sharks definately need some salt in their water- are you using marine salt?

Good luck- Julie

I still haven't seen anything about water quality here. The change in color could be due to chemical burns from ammonia, chlorine, etc.

We want to help you, but we need more information first!

Actually, posts 6, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, all asked about the parameters, info, ammonia levels and the like. They just haven't been answered yet.
But you are right in saying that the color change sounds like a chemical burn of some kind.
The good news about that is if Snorkleboy gets his Shark into healthy water quickly, he has a good chance of survival. Depending on how long the shark has been in the water that's caused the burns.

Actually, posts 6, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, all asked about the parameters, info, ammonia levels and the like. They just haven't been answered yet.
But you are right in saying that the color change sounds like a chemical burn of some kind.
The good news about that is if Snorkleboy gets his Shark into healthy water quickly, he has a good chance of survival. Depending on how long the shark has been in the water that's caused the burns.

I'm not trying to offend you WendiDell, but the italics and colors of the letters in your posts are making them very hard to read. At least they are for me.

@JulieAnna: I'd say ammonia poisoning is much more likely. Here are some of the symptoms:

Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
Purple or red gills
Fish is lethargic
Loss of appetite
Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
Red streaking on the fins or body

If these symptoms look like what is happening to your fish then... A 30-50% pwc is advised along with an ammonia neutralizer. Cut back on your feeding and check your pH. It it is likely too high. The PWC may help. Let's us know some specifics ASAP. We can't be sure without more info.

The other thought I had was dropsy. The rule that out I'd like to know if the fish seems bloated in any way? Scales sticking out from the body?

He didn't have any of those symptoms thankfully. Everyone else in the tank is doing very well. And my shark died at about 10 last night.

No worries, fish die. I'm just glad I dint have to euthanize him.

I'm sorry that you couldn't same him. It's sad when you lose a fish you like. But it's worse when you have to euthanize them. I'm glad that you didn't have to do that either. Personally, I hate doing it.

I was about to do it, I had it all ready then when I went to check on him he was gone.. I'm just glad I didn't have to, and I hope I won't have to again for a long long time.

I've had fish die and be pushed around by current making them look like they're swimming around. I've had some float to the top and do nothing until they die. I've had some die while hiding in plants. Generally, they become lethargic and do little to nothing, hide, or hang out at the top or bottom. If they're vertical, but still moving, they're so close to death that they're probably going to die no matter what.

I lost too many fish until I started testing water quality (ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates) and made sure the tank was cycled. I used Tetra Safestart to get the tank cycled (took 3 days), then I added one tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons. Then, when adding fish I drip acclimate (I have something called the Little Dripper. An IV dripper would work too). I put the tank water in that and slowly drip the tank water into the water from the store when I bring them home (about 2 drops a second).

Since I've started doing those things (along with getting a canister filter and using Chemi-pure elite), I haven't lost any fish.

He was definantly alive at that time. And thanks everybody for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom