Help with Filter please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to reduce the flow on my filter - quickly,

I have a fluval u2 which appears to be providing too strong a current for my betta and chili rasboras. I've tried adding a funnel shape bit of plastic form another filter to direct the flow upwards and along the back of the tank but my chillis now seem to be being pushed around even more! My betta is still in hiding under the filter :(

Any help greatly appreciated.

i'd say get a sponge (wash sponge, car sponge, any sort of sponge) cut it down to a reasonable size (i'm not 100% familiar with your filter so a lil hard to say) and with a little DIY you should be able to fit the sponge over the bit that pumps water out. that will break the flow up and hopefully slow the current a lot and make it better for your betta :)

my tank current is set very low at the moment. i have it set so that i can see small movements in my java sat near the filter exit. this proves to be just fine for my betta

Thanks for that I will try that, I've changed it to the spray bar and the plants aren't moving as much but neither is my betta :(

hmmmmm sorry to hear :(

i'm unsure then. it could be many things. sorry to ask the usual questions... but it helps. what are your paramaters? how long has it been set up and how long have the fish been in it? does the betta look ill at all? any spots, slime, fungus?

what is he actually doing at the moment? is he sat on the bottom quite lazily (i.e. on his side but breathing and moves if you come near?) or is he just staying close to the filter while swimming? or is he not moving whatsoever?

Thanks for the concern I'm also discussing this on another thread. I think mr betta was having a silk with me for changing things around he was super active when I came home from work this morning about to go check on him shortly

I am not DIY minded at all i'm afraid, however Mr grumpy betta is swimming around happily today so i think he was sulking rather than having an issue with the flow....how much stres can one fish cause! Lol

Oh yes very active now! But he did get stuck by the sucrion cups this morning, silly monkey!

Yeh they do have a tendencay toget stuck in odd places because they like to rest on thing. Does the tank have a plant?? If not i have seen a plastic leaf with a suction cap at the end that made for that purpose

Yes the tank has lots of plants for him and two terracotta pots! I think he's just going to be my problem child!

Hi again :)

just a quick one, hows your filter working out? i'm thinking of getting a fluval U2 but just a lil dubious as you've said you've needed to slow the flow down and had to DIY it to do it, but on the website for fluval says it has adjustable flow?

Hello my U2 is great thanks I didn't need to lower it after all he was just being a sulky Sam!!

Haha fair enough. Would you be able to help me at all with the fluval u2? I just need to know if you can adjust the speed of the flow as I'm thinking of using it as a supplemental filter while its building up its good bacteria to become my primary filter

I found the best flow was to use the one where the water comes from the holes down the middle I think it's setting B. I find that the gentlest flow when the water comes from the top/bottom it's quite powerful

thanks for that! i didnt checkk here before my other post :/ sorry lol

Back
Top Bottom