Help with Finding Rocks please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I cannot find anywhere or anyone that has rocks or sell rocks. I am looking rocks for my 75g can you guys please help me find places that sell rock around the Los Angeles area please if you know of any thanks

well now, really rocks are everywhere, go into a patch of woods, along a creek bed, national park, just bring them home, scrub them in really hot water till there clean, you can try boiling them but some rocks have a tendency to explode in high heat from what I hear

If you want small aquarium gravel rocks, try a home improvement store. If you want large rocks, go to landscaper. If you need specialty rocks, try the local mines that have agates and other semi preciuos stone. Lots of places but knowing what type of rocks would help a lot.

Try a gardening store. Buy bigger rocks and break them into pieces. Some places even givea away the broken pieces.

For specific stores, check your regional forum.

I tried the regional forums but no one ever is there i told the moderators about it but havent heard from him or the cali forums. I like some medium rocks to aquascape

i was told that you want to avoid rocks that have a lot of red because they have a high mineral content like iron. not sure if this is true.

Some rocks, yes. But rocks like red lava rock, if you can get some that sinks, is fine. I have some in mine, and doesn't alter my ph at all.

But if you are a planted tank, then rocks with some iron may be helpful. Maybe others in here will comment on this.

the color of rock that I am looking for is basiclly cement color or white color, I will be creating a mountain of black substrate with only tips of the rocks showing, kind of a mountain peak effect, also will grow lawn plants to cover all the substrate around the peaks.

Back
Top Bottom