Help with Fish ID: Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiofcanada

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I rescued a fish today from a LFS. Someone brought in this guy and he has been in their tanks for 3 months by himself. They didn't know what he/she was. But it's REALLY cute.

I think it might be some kind of tetra, but it has a big fat belly, something I have not seen on a tetra. I asked the owner about the belly, and he said it has been chubby ever since it was abandoned.

I would like to know what it is, so that I can get it some friends.

Attachments

• P8130094.jpg
    P8130094.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 132
  • P8130104.jpg
    P8130104.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 134
  • P8130109.jpg
    P8130109.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 105
Yay for the save! It is by itself right? It is an Orange Von Rio tetra. The belly shape is different than any other that I've seen though. We have a tank full, they are VERY cool fish!

Yay for the save! It is by itself right? It is an Orange Von Rio tetra. The belly shape is different than any other that I've seen though. We have a tank full, they are VERY cool fish!

OOh la la!!! A full tank of em :D?!? My little guy need some friends!!!

He is the only guy in the tank besides my new BN Pleco. He was free because he was abandoned. The owner of the store just gave it to me :):):):) He was so alone...and had been for a while. I really like the body shape and the colour.

Any advice for how many friends he should have? and why his belly is so fat? Is that normal?

Looks like it has dropsy to me. Good save.

dropsy?

but its scales are smooth as silk and his eyes are flat and normal. He doesn't even look uncomfortable...just chubby. the store owner says he /she came like that. So it has been this way for a while. Despite the fat belly, the body is really sleak. Looks like a cross of a tetra and a female platy :p

I will keep a close eye nonetheless.

Could it have survived for 3 months with dropsy untreated?

Ya, i can live with dropsy for a while. It might not be dropsy but i have seen fish with dropsy with no scales sticking out before. But it could be something else.

Might be constipated (chronically) or something. You might want to try some peas or some spirulina flakes for a few days. If that doesn't change anything...it might just be a genetic thing. If it eats fine and swims around, its probably ok. :)

My danios and tetras get big bellies after a few feedings of frozen food and I just have to give them some spirulina flakes for a feeding and their bellies will shrink back to normal.

ok...will keep a close eye. :) So far, it is shy but came out to eat and is zooming around now that the lights are off. I am hoping it could be a female and the poor thing is just waiting to meet the right kind of guy hehehe

Good to see you Etunes. I see there is a big monster at your door rather than a monster in your tank :p

ok...will keep a close eye. :) So far, it is shy but came out to eat and is zooming around now that the lights are off. I am hoping it could be a female and the poor thing is just waiting to meet the right kind of guy hehehe

Good to see you Etunes. I see there is a big monster at your door rather than a monster in your tank :p

lol, I am just embarrassing my true floridian. I am working on the monster on my tank but i stopped for a deturer and am gonna try breeding these oddballs (cacellian worm). But i am gonna be throwing a couple of Black ghost knives in this tank eventually (after the algae problem is solved) to start out my monster tank. I plan on upgrading to a 100g+ to start my monsters. Bichirs and all. Cant wait.

lol, I am just embarrassing my true floridian. I am working on the monster on my tank but i stopped for a deturer and am gonna try breeding these oddballs (cacellian worm). But i am gonna be throwing a couple of Black ghost knives in this tank eventually (after the algae problem is solved) to start out my monster tank. I plan on upgrading to a 100g+ to start my monsters. Bichirs and all. Cant wait.

HAHA... I just googled pictures. Those are HUGE! You are a crazy man. You may as well breed monsters too!

I want a unique tank. My friend just set up a Jellaquarium. It's a blue light tank with moon jellies in it. I am sooo jealous. But I can't afford the setup and the chiller :(. Maybe one day when I have a real job hahaha. I will be checking your posting to see what you update.

Just saw in classifieds that you have some of these guys for sale. How much would shipping be to 60614?

It has been 90+ here lately. Will they be okay for shipping?

I usely see big belly like that in most female fish that r home breed with bad water.
With bad water n small space. The fry will not grow right. I guess that's the problem.
I see this in a lot female beta that been home breed in the u.s.

i have a school of the same orange von rios, and they also have large stomachs for a while after feeding. i do think it's constipation..

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 77
i have a school of the same orange von rios, and they also have large stomachs for a while after feeding. i do think it's constipation..

Just checked on my lonely guy this morning....and he/she looks more like your picture.

It looks great this morning!!! Definitely more yellow up front with bright orange on its tail. I think it was stressed in the tank at the store. It was in a tank with a myriad of black skirt and red eye tetras. It is zipping around the tank between plants and looking much brighter.

I will get some peas today and see if I can slim this guy down. :)

How many do you keep in your school?

Just saw in classifieds that you have some of these guys for sale. How much would shipping be to 60614?

It has been 90+ here lately. Will they be okay for shipping?

$10 priority, it's 2 day to you so we'd gaurantee live arrival. Express is available, but is $38. 8O.

We haven't had any troubles with the heat at all. I think because we use pure O2 in all the bags. We had an apisto and tetras go NM this past week that I was a bit worried about, but they made it fine. :)

i have 6 of them right now, they look awesome in a planted environment, and really color up nicely. mine have nice white edges to their bright orange fins.

so with this pea thing, do you use fresh, frozen, canned, or will any of these options work??? i've been feeding them frozen daphnia (highly nutritious water flea) once or so a week, which i thought was supposed to help purge the digestive system. maybe i'll try the peas.

i have 6 of them right now, they look awesome in a planted environment, and really color up nicely. mine have nice white edges to their bright orange fins.

so with this pea thing, do you use fresh, frozen, canned, or will any of these options work??? i've been feeding them frozen daphnia (highly nutritious water flea) once or so a week, which i thought was supposed to help purge the digestive system. maybe i'll try the peas.

About the peas :)
Constipated Fish? "Pea-lax!" - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

I use Green Giant sweetlets/niblets :) I drain them, rinse them and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. I thaw them a couple at a time per use. Or....I give a few to the fishies and eat the rest with a pad of butter and sea salt :)

I Really scored this morning. I went to petsmart on a whim to see if they might have any friends for Chubs, my little orange Von Rio Tetra...and they DID! But only two,...so I bought both. And now he has two friends :)

I also scored and got 5 rasboras for $1 each :) !!!!!

No idea what kind...as they were labeled rasbora variety :p

Here is a picture of them schooling together. Any ideas what rasbora these are?

they have red tail and fin parts and are yellowish and pinkish on the body around the black streak.

Attachments

• P8140147.jpg
    P8140147.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 66
  • P8140135.jpg
    P8140135.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom