Help with freshwater sump please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clicked the wrong button on the app. Help would be greatly greatly appreciated lol. And changes are welcomed.

Attachments

• image-805226802.jpg
    image-805226802.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 57
Andy is the guy to talk to about that stuff. I mean I'm sure there are other members also but I know Andy and I know he has a big tank and runs a sump.

You usually want the bio-balls before the plant section due to the fact that the bio-balls are nitrate factories and the plants are nitrate sponges. Also, it helps to alternate the level where the water exits one section and flows into the other. So after coming into sump, it exits via the bottom of the separator, then overflows over the top of the following compartment. This helps reduce bubbles as well as ensures all the water gets filtered regularly rather than having a mostly stagnant bottom of a compartment while the surface is constantly having new water flow through. Finally, having a separate pump for the sump and moving the canister filter independent of the sump allows a bit better redundancy so if something goes wrong with one you still have the other filtering for you. I also believe canisters tend to work better when they're at a lower water level than where their source water is, so if you did decide to keep it down functioning as the return pump for the sump then you'll want to raise the sump above the canister more to ensure proper flow.

Hope this helps :)

What about this

Which one is better

Attachments

• image-2662212190.jpg
    image-2662212190.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3331609287.jpg
    image-3331609287.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 51
What canister should i get incase of a sump malfunction? Doesnt have to be really big. Can i get one rated for 55-90 gallons

Honestly you don't even have to get a canister if you don't want one, so any size is fine. Just having something to keep things moving and partially filtered is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom