Help with GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello!
I recently purchased a pair of gbrs sadly after four days the male died.
I was wondering if the female will be ok alone or should I look to get a friend?
Also I feed them on tropical flakes and Daphnia on e a week, should she be having anything else?
Thanks guys

Well, when my male died I got a new one the shop said it was a male but it's a female. I would get her a male.

Firstly what size of tank did you have them in and what are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? A single ram is okay on it's own as long as you have a few dither fish with it, I wouldn't put a Ram in a tank on its own as they really don't do well if stressed. Rams also don't do well unless the water quality is really good, so an established tank us usually a minimum requirement. With all fish a varied diet is better, I feed mine a mix of NLS flake, pellets, bloodworm, brine shrimp, boiled deshelled peas and occasionally chopped prawn, the better the food, the better the fish will look and healthier it will be if it's environment is optimal.

Thanks. The tank is a 29gal and my water was fine she's in with four juv guppies and some corys which will be swapped for khuili loaches. I think I'll get her another male on pay day she seems ok although is swimming around alot lol

Your ram will be fine on it own or with another. Preferably a male but remember they are cichlids and will bicker. About the food, Borderlesscott is right, varied is good but I have to tell you I have 10 Rams (GBR, Gold, and Electric Blue) and thier absolute favorite is shelled peas, slightly smashed. Mine act like I put candy in the tank.

Peas are like a laxative for fish it cleans their system out. Helps prevent bloat and other types of internal blockages.

Yup, its good ole fiber. My loaches, angels, and tetras all like the peas. They are a must for heavy bodied fancy goldfish breeds who are prone to constipation. It's believed that many swim bladder issues are actually due to constipation, not all but with goldies many times SBI's really are just constipation. I've even seen my BNP and oto's munching on them.

No reason you couldn't. Some fish may not eat them first time around but don't give up. What I do is put however many peas I want to feed in a 3oz. plastic solo cup, add hottest water from tap I can get then nuke them for 15 seconds which is usually enough to soften them (unless your doing alot of peas then you might have to do another 15 seconds). Take them out and drain off water. Shell them (lightly squeeze and insides will squish out or use a small utility knife to pop a tiny hole in shell then squeeze out), throw away shells, then I lightly squish the peas as sometimes if the pea is still firm not all fish will/can eat them. Just add a couple peas at a time and see what they do with them. Once they decide its food and they can/will eat them you can add the peas much quicker.

My whole tank goes crazy when I drop peas in, I mush some up for the smaller guys. Nothing sends my fish as crazy as peas!

Back
Top Bottom