Help with levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

academyy_xx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank for about a month now; 25 gallon with two red-tail sharks, one green tiger barb, one black banded leporinus and two plecos (not sure which kind). My first filter broke on me so I bought a new one about two weeks ago. I did my weekly 25% water change today and then checked my levels. It reads:

NO2- 0
NO3- 0
Hardness- 300 (bad but I don't have soft water)
Alkalinity- 300 (High)
pH- between 8.0 and 8.5

What is alkalinity and how can I fix this? And do the rest seem pretty normal?

Oh and the ammonia stays at a constant 3.0 although I have been using a waste control chemical. The package does say that if you use a chemical it might still read high ammonia although it is no longer dangerous.

academyy_xx said:
Oh and the ammonia stays at a constant 3.0 although I have been using a waste control chemical. The package does say that if you use a chemical it might still read high ammonia although it is no longer dangerous.

How can 3ppm of ammonia not be dangerous?! What's size tank is this? Redtail sharks should not be placed in a aquarium this size, but I'm not familiar with the other species.

Clean fresh water is what is in order, and treated water with a quality product like Prime, which is a little more expensive, but highly concentrated.

Usually a chemical wouldn't be necessary if you can do lots of partial water changes(pwc).

Fresh clean water will not need the chemical. Check your tapwater for ammonia. Occasionally it comes from the tap that way, I had that experience before.

I would do 50-75% pwc, then that evening or the next morning another 50%, check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels too

Its like swimming in pee water which keeps getting more toxic, and just because you put a chemical to lessen the toxic effects doesn't mean you still aren't swimming in pee water. (not an exact scientific explanation, but I hope you get the point) So fresh water is much better.

Besides what are the Nitrite levels? Very toxic to fish as well.

Redtail sharks get large and although they are really cool looking and are sold to everyone with smaller tanks, they shouldn't be in one for very long. So many of the commonly sold fish, don't belong in smaller tanks (like 25G), like silver dollars, and goldfish and Oscars and bichirs and many kinds of, including the common Plecostomous. You can't rely on the fish store people to steer you in the right direction, do lots of research.

Have you read about fish in cycling. Did you save your filter pad from your broken filter or start with a new one? You can rinse off the filter pads with treated or old tank water, but using tap water which has chemicals to kill bacteria, does just that kills bacteria in your filter pad, the beneficial bacteria (BB) which help convert ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. Go to the "getting started" section and there are some resources to check up on. You can do a search on here, in "getting started"

Work towards getting the water quality in check, try to get Prime it helps with ammonia also, chances are your lfs has it, I know Petco does. You can deal with the stocking issues after or while you get the water better.

Also chances are you are over feeding and you should feed a high quality food to help reduce fillers which don't do anything for the fish or the water quality. Try feeding half of what you normally would too. It is very easy to over feed. I don't know positively that you are doing it, but it happens most of the time.

Keep us posted.

I am getting a 75 gallon for Christmas just to clear that part up. And i am almost positive I am not over feeding my fish because I physically watch them eat their food. And with the ammonia I meant that the reader will still read high levels although the chemical might have converted it to be less dangerous (at least that's what my tester said what will happen if I use an ammonia chemical). My nitrate levels are both "safe" according to my tester; it reads 0 ppm. I've only done a 25% water change since adding in the waste control chemical last weekend.

Also, I will try and do a 50% water change two days in a row, see if that would help.

Have you tested your water with a liquid water test kit? I have not used the leave in indicators so I don't know how reliable they are. Instead of adding a detoxifier water changes would be much better. As previously stated, to get your water safe, if your indicator is correct, you need to do back to back 50%+ water changes. Once the levels are where they should be, ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates <40 then you may be able to go to weekly water changes. But based on the info you provided, tank only up for a month, it sounds like your cycle has not completed which is all the more reason to have a liquid test kit to check your water daily & then do water changes as needed.

Yeah it is a liquid tester and I will do a 50% water change back to back and see if that helps.

Nothing seems to be helping. My ammonia levels are still high and have not gone down. I don't know what else to do.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

Also what sized water changes are you doing? with ammonia at 3, it'll take a few large (50-60%) back-to-back water changes to start seeing levels drop, assuming your tap water is free of ammonia. Also most dechlorinators only detoxify ammonia to a certain point (1 ppms usually) so the rest of that ammonia is toxic to fish.

Also more than one red tailed shark is usually a bad idea as they tend to be aggressive to their own kind.

Here's a link for you: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I haven't tested my tap water, i will do that. I've had my sharks since October and so far they are okay with each other so I will have to watch as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom