Help With Molly Fry in a Community! Asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kotenok

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Molly fish is having babies... right at this moment as I type... Are babies in danger if I have in a tank 3 discus,3 Cory cats, 5 mollies, 4 skirt tetras, 1 tiger barb and 1 common pleco? What should I feed them? 8 have flakes, brine shrimp and blood worms....

They are in danger. Separate them asap
Feed any and all foods
What size tank?

With all those fry predators in the tank, you need to have a sizeable clump of java moss or the like that the fry can hide in. They can consume micro nutrients within the plants. Without the moss, they're pretty much doomed in that tank.

If you have a breeder net or box you can place them in there. If not you could use an empty container, like milk jug cut in half, with really small holes and clip it to the side of the tank. Don't worry about feeding for the first couple of days, I feed them crushed flakes.

Starka said:
If you have a breeder net or box you can place them in there. If not you could use an empty container, like milk jug cut in half, with really small holes and clip it to the side of the tank. Don't worry about feeding for the first couple of days, I feed them crushed flakes.

Oh and congrats! :)

How is everyone doing? Where you able to get them out?

For some reason she just had 3 babies. They are all alive and growing fast... I was really surprised to see such a small amount though. Is this normal?

kotenok said:
For some reason she just had 3 babies. They are all alive and growing fast... I was really surprised to see such a small amount though. Is this normal?

It can be normal especally if it is her first batch, or the others have been eaten or in hiding still. Mollies can have up to 100 littleones. Glad you were able to save a few.

Dont seperate, hard to aclimate to different tanks, get a net breeder, stays in your tank but your adults cant get to them.

kotenok said:

The water temp can cause this. Or she isnt done and will produce more in a week or week and a half

Back
Top Bottom