Help with more complex tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porthos.1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello fellow tank lovers. I recently acquired a more complex tank. much larger too. It is a used one and i have no instructions for the filter set up. I am hoping one of you might be familiar with the Filter set up as i am totally lost!
I have a bioballs filter. Its an AMIRACLE. I have a Rio submersible pump. Then i have some kind of overflow gadget. it has one large box and one smaller box. Below is the website with a picture of both. . My problem is I am unsure of what hooks up to what? Do i need a second pump? I sure hope someone can help! I am sure i can't just pump water in with out pumping water out of the amiracle filter. Thats why i think i need a second pump. but i jsut can't figure out how to plump it. My other tank is sooo simple. but its only a 20 gal. Thanks!

1. web site with my amiracle filter http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/FYF-F-AF2.htm?sid=1cdAk01FP0PI8Xn-52105187350.82

2. Overflow box
http://www.aquacorals.com/ShopOverflows.htm

3. Rio Pump
http://www.foryourfish.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/FYF-F-PHUF5.htm?sid=1cdAk01FP0PI8Xn-02105322550.6c[/img]

Welcome to AA!!!

The two boxes that you refer to as a large box and a smaller box are overflow boxes. They go on the back of your tank. The smaller one goes on the inside all the way up to the top of the water line. The larger one connects to the back of the tank and you should have a round prefilter that will fit into the PVC pipe there.

Next you should have a hose that will run from the lager box on the outside of the tank to the bio-balls.

Next you will take your RIO pump and place it in the sump on the other side of the bio-balls and you will have a return hose that will run from the RIO back to the tank to put the water back in.

You should have a "J" tube looks like a curved U tube most of them are clear and hard plastic. This will go into the overflow boxes on the inside of the tank and outside.

Fill the tank up with water to the waterline on the inside of the tank, adding some water to the overflow on the back of the tank also.

The water flow to the bio-balls (WEt/Dry filter) is gravity fed so you want need another pump for that. You will need a small piece of tubing to place in the "J" tube to suck the air out and get the water flowing to the wet/dry filter.

Once the filter has started to fill up turn on the RIO. Make sure that there is water in the sump, you dont want to run the RIO dry it will burn up the pump.

Also make sure that you allow yourself enough room in the sump for the water in the return line to come back to the sump in case of a power outatage. You will want to set the system up and play with it for a while. Dont set it up and leave it alone until you are sure that its working as it should be.

If you need any pictures of the setup e-mail me at bhunsucker@gmail.com and I will send you some pictures of what it should look like.

Good Luck and welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom