help with move please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
so it turns out at the end of the week i wll be moving from central indiana to nothern connecticut.. all in all it will prolly be a two day move (just drive time) ill probably stop feeding the fish tuesday night or wednesday afternoon, break down the tank and clean it out thursday night, and crate it up friday morning before we leave since i want it to be last thing in the truck.

im gonna buy a power invertor for my mom's suv and she is going to just take them in a cooler lined with trash bags and im going to put a couple air stones in there, so she can still take them out and bring them in the hotel with her when she stops during the drive and everything.

but my real question here is i have some pretty agressive fish and idk how i should split them up or if they would be ok for the time in the cooler togeter. i was going to just line the cooler with one big bag, then put two smaller inside that big bag. my fish and other tank inhabitants are listed in my signature. i was going to just pair the bn plecos and the boesemani and one of the gouramis and maybe the barbs, then put the shark and the other gourami and the frog in the other bag. im not goin to bother trying to take the snail out of the substrate, im just going to be moving all the substrate into rubbermaid containers anyways, figure they can survive.

my tank is planted also, im just goint to remove the plants and then put them in another container or maybe ziplock bags with water and put them with the driftwood in a container along with filter media. im going to try and take about 15 gallons of tank water with me also, so i can try and prevent as much of a minicycle as possible...

man i hate moving...lol...im open to any and all suggestions and input to my plan..thanks for the help :D

pssh...I feel ya bro...

Sounds like you have a good plan though.

One thing you should do though is put all the fish in some freshly dechlorinated water for about 30-60 minutes before they go into the cooler with that water.

The reason being is I've noticed that fish tend to poop a lot when you start transfering them. By making them poop it all out in different water, you may prevent a large ammonia spike during the move.

hmm good idea

i was thinking about actually adding a single ice pack too, not enough to make them lethargic enough that it would do damage, just enough to slow down metabolism and keep them from going as much

could you perhaps put the fish in your "myinfo" i as well as many other people i assume have the do not display signature feature on

..::Tank Inhabitants::..
6 Tiger Barbs
1 Powder Blue Gourami
1 Dwarf Flame Gourami
1 African Clawed Frog
2 Bristlenose Plecos
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Boesemani Rainbow
?? Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Back
Top Bottom