HELP with my Bala Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tattis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:( I have 2 bala sharks, which up to now had no problems being in my tank along with a gold gurami and two mollies. Yesterday I noticed one being very aggressive on the other one...continously chasing it all over the tank. The non aggressive shark looks very scared and is being idle in the corner of the tank behind my heater (which by the way is off right now due to the high temps this time of the year in my country) facing the glass. The aggressive keeps bothering the other one. When I put food, the non aggresive shark tries to eat but the other one won't let it in peace...

:( I am very afraid that this situation will result in worse things eventually. Can anyone give me any advice? (My tank is 45 litres)

Its possible you have a territorial issue. Bala's get big and need lots of room. You have em in a space equivalent to a 10g US tank. Tiny. They grow up to be about a foot long and they grow FAST. You've actually got some aggresive fish in that tank. You might want to look into a MUCH larger tank for the Balas and move them in there.

Bala Sharks issue

Thanks very much. I think you are right...I've been thinking about that lately...but I don't have room for a larger aquarium. I'm wondering what I can I do...maybe I can give them away in some way because I don't want to torture them or even have the worst.

Try calling a couple of lfs and see if they're interested in taking them. Heck, they might even be willing to work out some credit for you in return.

You might also try posting in the classifieds here to see is anyone is interested, although I'm not sure if we have anyone else near you.

Bala Sharks are less agressive than goldfishes, this is weird, but what you might want to do is use the cichilid method, ad more plants,rocks,or tree trunks to the tank

Back
Top Bottom