Help with my overpopulated fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForestMania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

All, I need some advice on my over populated 55g tank. I didn't know that I will over populate it when I added the last two species of fish into my tank.

I need some advice on whether I can keep my current set up, and not give away my fish (I really like them)? If I can, what should I do?

Here are the settings:
55 gallon tank started about 5 weeks ago,
heavily planted (still growing, but doing well) with small gravels.
DIY CO2 injection
Tetra EX70 filter and Topfin 60 filter
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 (have 2 of them, currently using only 1)
Heater (not using it)

Here is a current list of fish:
7 guppy adult and 2 fry
13 Neon Tetra
14 Zebra Danio
2 Albino Cory Catfish
2 Green Cory Catfish
5 Otocinclus
4 Twinbar Platy (One of the last added species)
8 Rasbora heteromorpha (The other last added species)
8 Ghost Shrimp
5 Amano Shrimp
12 Red Cherry shrimp
2 small snails

After I bought the fish, I realized I am pretty sure that I over populated my tank, and aqadvisor's calculator show the following:

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 121%.
Recommended water change schedule: 38% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 116%

It has been 4 days and all water parameter seems to be just fine (under 20 nitrate and 0 nitrite, ammonia and chlorine, soft water ph is between 6.8-7.2)

Any advice would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 393
I think ur fine im overstocked on my 40 jus keep up with water changes. Tank looks nice btw

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I don't see a problem. :cool:

Maybe lose the guppies? They will over-populate with no help whatsoever from you.

I think guppy emirs are fine for now. The first batch got eaten by the parents. The two remaining are gift from local fish store. I guess I will send out guppies of they start to over populate. But my guess is they will get eaten away fast

I'm not quite sure what your question is. Sounds like you know you're overstocked. Are you just looking for someone to tell you thats not the case?

I do know that I am over stocked. I want to know if I can keep this level of fish, and what should I do in order to remain all my current stocks

Are you over-filtered as well? If so, I agree with KingKoopa; keep up on your water changes, wash filter media in dirty tank water when you do a water change, vacuum gravel, and you should be ok.

I am using two 70gallon filter. Each filter has two carbon bag. I plan to change one of the four carbon bag every two week, and 40% water change every week. I hope that will be enough. What will be the sign for potential problems other than regular water parameter indicators?

Why should I wash filter in dirty tank water?

You're fine. I've kept my tanks for years at 120-130% of what aq advisor says. Keep up with your water changes and monitor your parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why should I wash filter in dirty tank water?

To preserve the beneficial bacteria (BB) in the filter cartridges. Otherwise, you may experience a mini-cycle and get ammonia and/or nitrite spikes as a result.

Washing the filter pads in tank water prevents any chlorine or heavy metals in your water supply from killing the beneficial bacteria.

Also throw some biomedia in there if ya can will help with the beneficial bacteria

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

You may or may not need extra media. The population of BB will grow and shrink in accordance to the amount of nutrients (ammonia/nitrite) available.
That being said...
Loose media like this can be a challenge to use in cartridge style filters. You have a couple of options:
1. Remove the carbon from one of the cartridges (if possible) and fill it with the ceramic media (noodles) referenced in the link above
2. Tie some fishing line around one ceramic noodles. Then thread the line THROUGH the holes of ceramic noodles until you get to a length of about 15-18". Allow some slack between the noodles. Then tie off the fishing line to the last ceramic noodle. Next, drop one end of the noodle and string thing you just made into the open space next to the filter cartridge. Continue lowering it with a side to side motion so that the noodles fill the space efficiently. Next time you need to do maintenance on the filter, removal of the ceramic media will be a breeze.

Nice trick. I will keep monitor the water parameter, and use this method of anything changes

Back
Top Bottom