HELP with my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob0829

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm totally confused with stocking my new cycled 20 gallon tank.

Heres what I'm thinking so far. I would like to have possibly 2 schools of fish, 1 of which maybe neon tetras. And maybe 2 or more larger fish, 1 of which being a blue dwarf gourami.

I would like a colorful, active looking tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and the fish I have mentioned do not have to be included if you have any other ideas. Thanks.

Cardinal tetras are great if you can find them for cheap.

My dwarf gourami was sort of mean, towards my betta and zebra danios, but I think that may have been bad stocking on my part, he cooled down after the addition to my semi-aggresive tank. He then contracted a mess of diseases, and after a long bout with several medications, he has passed away. He was goood lookin though.

I second Pleco's suggestion of rainbows.

Ever thought of congo tetras?

Instead of Bolivians try German Blue Rams. They don't get quite as big as Bolivians and they are far more colorful, especially when you can find good stock. Cockatoos are also very colorful and would do well in your tank. You will probably want to get quite a few plants and hiding spaces for both of these species though as they tend to be on the shy side.

If it were me, I would only go with ONE school of fish because the tank is not that large. I would probably go with neon or cardinal tetras or glowlight tetras. Rummynose tetras are nice too but they will quickly take up space in your 20 gallon tank. You will probably want about 6 fish for your school of choice.

If you go with a pair of dwarfs, consider pencils as dithers. the dwarfs will breed and the pencils will not go after the fry. I hate gourami's personally. way too aggressive for my liking. You can also do killies instead. really colorful and very fun.

i would not suggest dwarf cichlids (rams or Apistos) until your tank has some time to mature, if it is freshly cycled. they are too sensitive to flux in water quality

Back
Top Bottom