Help with neon tetras..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obsessedfishlover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have quite some fish in my tank and I have neon tetras which are bottom swimmers when I feed my fish the neons never go to the top and eat and once the food hits the bottom they won't eat it... What should I do? Am I just overreacting?

How long you had the neons? It took mine a few days before they started eating after I got mine. Got 6 neons, 6 glowlight, 4 mountain clouds in a 20 gallon planted tank.

IMO, neons aren't the smartest fish. But I like mine. The 7 of mine don't eat the flakes unless I place them on the filter outflow then they chase them around the tank!

Didn't you just get them the other day? If so they need time to settle in. Plus if your feeding a different food from what they were used to that takes time for them to adjust to that also. And my one adult daughter says they are the dumbest fish she's ever kept... lol. But my cardinal tetras are alot like you are discribing. They stay low in the tank and close to the plants, they prefer eating the food being fed as it floats around. But many after a couple months are beginning to pick off the substrate so just be patient and they will sort it all out.

Didn't you just get them the other day? If so they need time to settle in. Plus if your feeding a different food from what they were used to that takes time for them to adjust to that also. And my one adult daughter says they are the dumbest fish she's ever kept... lol. But my cardinal tetras are alot like you are discribing. They stay low in the tank and close to the plants, they prefer eating the food being fed as it floats around. But many after a couple months are beginning to pick off the substrate so just be patient and they will sort it all out.

Yes I just got my tetras in fact yesterday I was jus worried..thanks everyone

IMO, neons aren't the smartest fish. But I like mine. The 7 of mine don't eat the flakes unless I place them on the filter outflow then they chase them around the tank!

+1. Soon enough they'll break ranks every now and then to try to chomp on a flake at the surface. Just some adjustment period. They're such a fun species to watch!

If they're new they're probably just settling in. You could try a pellet, new life spectrum and hikari make good ones. I soak mine in a spoon of tank water so that when I put it in it sinks right away and most of the fish like to eat it as it falls.

Back
Top Bottom