Help with new filter for 37 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive got an AquaClear 70/300 on my 37 gal tank right now, however I need to replace it. The tank is a little crowded but is doing very well.

I have the following:

2 buhsy nose plecos
6 Rummy nose tetras
3 Japonica Amano Shrimp
12 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Panda coreys
4 Ottos
4 Pygmy Corys
2 German Blue Rams
1 Red tail shark

Is there any reason I should consider replacing my AquaClear with a canister filter? I was looking at the XP1 which looked good, but I cant seem to find a compelling reason to spend the extra money on in since my AquaClear has been doing so well for me for about 2 years now.

I don't think you need to upgrade the filter, the AC 70 should be more than adequate. I run one on my 36 with no problems.

rich311k said:
I don't think you need to upgrade the filter, the AC 70 should be more than adequate. I run one on my 36 with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, I have not had any problems, other than it has broken after 2 years, however I was just checking to see if there was any reason to replace it with a canister instead of the same thing again. I like trying out different things, so thats why I was tempted.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Canisters let you mess with the filter media and can hold a very large colony of bacteria.

But in a tank that size it's probably overkill.

If your tank is planted and you inject CO2, or if you just want to have greater filtration flexibility, it might make sense for you to get a canister filter. I found that switching from a Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 HOB filter to a Filstar xP1 canister greatly increased my plant growth because there was less disturbance of the water surface (and therefore greater retention of the CO2 I was injecting). I also switched from submersible heaters to an external heater (the Hydor ETH 201) which left the tank less cluttered.

Great, more good info. thanks! Im leaning towards just keeping the AquaClear at this point after reading the feedback. I am not doing any CO2 injections, however my plants are doing really well. I spend more time trimming them than I do worrying about water parameters and such...so thats probably a good problem to have. :)

Again, thanks everyone for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom