Help with new tank set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to be setting up a new 75 gallon tank this weekend and plan on transferring as much water that I can salvage from the old tank into the new one, along with my 2 filters and existing media (both filters support up to 75 g) but I'm also thinking of changing my old gravel to sand as well.
What are the pros and cons of doing this and is sand really better than gravel? since it seems like that's what everyone is switching to. Btw the old tank is a 55 g and I have extra water set aside in 2 40 gallon totes that's been sitting for about 2 weeks, this is usually the water I use when I do pwc's since I dont like to use water straight from the tap. Appreciate any advice. :)

Sand can be better substance for plants and it looks more natural IMO. I have 2 tanks with gravel and one with sand. I like the look of my one with sand better. Why would you take the water from the tank? It doesn't do anything for the aquarium besides dirtying it. Oh and sand can be better for some fish like cories.

I want to use as much of the water from the old tank as possible since I just did a pwc about 3 days ago and it's still really clean! I want to make it as less stressful as possible on my fish I will be transferring over. Besides I will probably still have to add 30 more gallons new water anyway since I'm going from 55 g to 75 g so that should be more like a pwc instead of cwc.

So you think the sand is more beneficial for plants? I wish I could have plants but unfortunately my tiger Oscar destroys them real or plastic lol! They all end up floating at the top of the tank but I do have a couple of Japanese moss balls he loves to roll around on!

Aww that sounds cute him rolling in the moss balls! I've heard it does good with plants, haven't tried it out yet though... Post some some pictures eventually I want to see this Oscar of yours now;D

I have a Python system to clean my tank I might just stick to gravel because I'm afraid it might suck up some of the sand and clog up my sink!

AquaKai said:
Aww that sounds cute him rolling in the moss balls! I've heard it does good with plants, haven't tried it out yet though... Post some some pictures eventually I want to see this Oscar of yours now;D

I'll try and take some but he's not very photogenic lol!

That's a shame that he's not photogenic:(. I would stick to the gravel too if that was the case. I haven't had to do that yet because my sand tank still doesn't have fish yet... But I think that it'll look great!

pictures of Tiger Oscar

:fish2:Here's pictures of my Tiger Oscar, he's a rescue Oscar I rescued him from someone who wasn't taking care of him.

Attachments

• tiger oscar 1.jpg
    tiger oscar 1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 95
  • tiger oscar 2.jpg
    tiger oscar 2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 91
  • tiger oscar 3.jpg
    tiger oscar 3.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 93
Puggle88 said:
Hey I think he is cute! He looks like a happy fish! U are so awesome to rescue him like you did! Aww! :)

Thanks! Well my friend rescued him first from a lady selling him in a 40 g plastic tote ( believe it or not) at a yard sale.hopefully that's not what she was keeping him in permanently but anyway my friend felt sorry for him and already had a 50 g tank. But after she had him about a year I had to rescue him from her because he had hith and my friend didn't even know what it was! So I talked her into letting me take him! So I've been treating him for it for about 4 months now and he's doing a lot better! :)

I think he's cute! Good job saving him from all those events that had happened! That's really nice, hope you have a great time with your new tank:)

I think he is adorable, and that coming from a saltie ;b
As for the tote lady: I can't believe ppl are so ignorant, poor fish must have been scared to death in that bag... That is just so mean!

Back
Top Bottom