Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to FiReMoUtH_GrL Send a message via MSN to FiReMoUtH_GrL Send a message via Yahoo to FiReMoUtH_GrL
Help with Opaline Gourami Aggression

I just bought a male Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami & a Emerald Green Cory cat for my tank yesterday, and my Opaline male was chasing them throughout the whole tank continuously! I took him out of the tank for 2 hours to give time for them to establish territory, and rearranged the decor. It worked for 1 day until today at around 3:00pm, but it started all over. I took him out this time for what's going to be for 4 hours (still set apart), and I still can't figure out what's going on. There's no females in the tank (as I know of because I don't know what 1 of my fish are) so it can't be because of that, & territory: I changed the decor yesterday night & everyone marked new territory. What else should I try? Since I don't want my poor catfish & dwarf gourami to die of a stress attack... All help is appreciated

FiReMoUtH_GrL

Dwarf Powder Blue gourami
Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish
FiReMoUtH_GrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank? I don't remember.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
This may just be a temporary thing as the gourami's establish a social pecking order.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Hey FiReMoUtH_GrL,

I got a Opaline Gourami as a gift and she/he ended up very aggressive similar to what you are saying. 2 days fine and then on the 3rd day she/he would just go nuts and go after everyone. I think that these particular Gourami do best with lots of space.

Hopefully you have a big enough tank so it can establish it's territory.

With mine I gave it some time but eventually I had to return mine to the local pet store. The decided that the rest of my community was more important.

Best of luck...

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 05:01 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to FiReMoUtH_GrL Send a message via MSN to FiReMoUtH_GrL Send a message via Yahoo to FiReMoUtH_GrL
Yea thats the same thing here. My Kissing gourami & him were the first additions to the community, and they got along great. Until yesterday, I found him chasing my Kisser!
Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish
Old 10-31-2003, 07:13 PM   #6

Hey ferret... i saw on your signature that you have a 29gal. w/ a kissing gourami, dwarf gourami, and opaline gourami. People on this website and others said that's not possible... the kisser won't fit at all.
Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish
Old 10-31-2003, 07:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's fit for close to two months now There's also a gold gourami, too.

What people tell you and what is really possible won't always be the same. Some people have had bad experiences, others have had different ones.

But, for what its worth, he's actually just there temporarily. He's only about 4 inches at this time so causes no trouble. Eventually he'll be moved out as he grows closer to full size. The only real reason he'll be moving is because eventually he'll try to eat my glow lite tetras, and will outgrow the tank. I don't foresee any problems between him and the other gouramis.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:25 PM   #8

oh
Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish
Old 10-31-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Way back a few months ago, the tank was going to be ONLY gouramis. But the lfs decided to have all its fish get diseased so I lost a good portion of those before they even left QT.

The original plan was 2x dwarf, 2x opaline, 2x gold, 2x red fire dwarf, and 1x pink kisser. As you can see I never replaced any of the fish that died or got any new ones. I moved my crowded 10 gallon fish into the 29 gallons and they've all be happy since.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thing to keep in mind, gouramis generally do NOT get along without a lot of space and territory. But, just like people, each gourami is different. I actually have 3 dwarf gouramis in my well planted 10g; I had initially thought I would be giving one away when I got the third (I'm hoping its female but am just not sure). Strangely enough, I haven't needed to move them. They all have claimed different parts of the tank and except for the occasional scrap, they all get along. BUT! This is not the norm, and one needs to be prepared for the situation not to work. I still have a home for the 3rd gourami if things wind up not working out.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
I like that post Allivymar.... That sum's up the gouramis... Non agression in a smaller tank is the exception to the rule... and if you are going to risk it have a back up plan in place.... Kudos to you!

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh, Thanx webmoose

I wouldn't HAVE 3 if females were easy to identify and find around here. Most places stock males cause they are usually more colorful. Prob is, with all the inbreeding colorful females have been known to pop up. Females are usually duller and have rounded fins (where the males are brighter and have pointy fins). So I'm trying to find that elusive female to give my bubble nest building males a purpose

Old 11-01-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm seriously pondering, once I have some money again, something in the 40-55 gallon range and recreating my gouramis tank. It'd be planted too.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:34 PM   #14

well, my Opaline isn't fighting with my Dwarf anymore... i'm glad! They actually swim together now! (not chasing each other)
Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish
Old 11-02-2003, 12:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please tell me, by the way, that your signature is literally your favorite fish, and not what you have in one tank ;P

If they're all in one tank, you're gonna have only one favorite fish eventually ;p The oscar :P
Old 11-02-2003, 03:10 PM   #16

Yes, they are the fish in my tank... except for the oscar. I had him in a 200gal. w/ 5 others which my mom made me sell...
Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish
Old 11-04-2003, 01:34 AM   #17

isn't that messed up?

Firemouth cichlid
Opaline gourami
Kissing gourami
Oscar cichild
Goldfish

Tags
aggression, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com