help with rainbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryansmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a partial water change last night because my nitrates are at 60 so he was fine acts fine now, hes eating but he seems to have faded a bit in color since this morning is this normal. My ph is 7 my nitrites are 0 and ammonia is 0 ppm.

Most people keep their nitrates between 20-40 ppm. From my reading, rainbows don't seem particularly sensitive to nitrates, so this range should be fine. You were right to do a water change when the nitrates reached 60 ppm, though.

The color fade may have been stress, due to the higher nitrates. Some fish also fade a bit at night as a defense mechanism - to hide from predators. He should be fine tomorrow.

What do you think is the cause of your higher nitrates? Some possible causes are overfeeding, or an overstocked tank, or skipping a water change.

I'm an avid rainbow keeper myself. Their colors fade in and out constantly so I wouldn't worry too much. I like to pin it on mood, but I'm not sure the exact reasons they do it.

I dont why the hhigh nitrates but I keep doing water changes more then 1 a week and I cant seem to bring them down and my tap water is acidic 6 ph out of the tap so I get nervous doing to much at a time. I have been feeding very little only 1 a day and they act like they are starving any ideas .ohh and the nitrates arent high out of the tap. I dont do mre then a 25% water change at a time because of the ph.

Back
Top Bottom