Help with ramshorns!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just have fun shopping. The availability of beautiful male betta types and colors and patterns has exploded over the past couple of years...you'll be amazed.
Thanks. My girlfriend likes the crown tailed. She thinks they look like they have dreadlocks hahaha

Bettas and gouramis do not go well together. Someone will end up hurt. Biggest control for snails is cut back on feeding, which may mean feeding the mystery snails in a seperate container till you take out the ramshorns. They aren't really bad for a tank, although some people do think they are unsightly :/

Bettas and gouramis do not go well together. Someone will end up hurt. Biggest control for snails is cut back on feeding, which may mean feeding the mystery snails in a seperate container till you take out the ramshorns. They aren't really bad for a tank, although some people do think they are unsightly :/
Ok that's good to know.... We were going to get a betta this week. I did read that bettas don't like other colorful fish. I hear loaches like snails. And I will be getting some kuhlis.

Ok that's good to know.... We were going to get a betta this week. I did read that bettas don't like other colorful fish. I hear loaches like snails. And I will be getting some kuhlis.
I have no doubt that toad has read or heard data that Gouramis and bettas don't get along and respect his concern to keep fish safe. But just to share my own experience, I had a male betta, 1 male, 2 female blue Gouramis in the same tank with 4 Angel fish and had no problems with anyone in the tank except the male Gourami bothering the females to breed to the point where they both stopped eating and died. The male eventually died from hole in the head disease. I treated the tank for the disease and my Angels, betta, and redeye tetras all still get along fine. So listen to Toad. My experience may have simply been a lucky fluke. Better safe than sorry. The hobby to me is peaceful and I wouldn't want it any other way for anyone else. Good Luck.

I have no doubt that toad has read or heard data that Gouramis and bettas don't get along and respect his concern to keep fish safe. But just to share my own experience, I had a male betta, 1 male, 2 female blue Gouramis in the same tank with 4 Angel fish and had no problems with anyone in the tank except the male Gourami bothering the females to breed to the point where they both stopped eating and died. The male eventually died from hole in the head disease. I treated the tank for the disease and my Angels, betta, and redeye tetras all still get along fine. So listen to Toad. My experience may have simply been a lucky fluke. Better safe than sorry. The hobby to me is peaceful and I wouldn't want it any other way for anyone else. Good Luck.
I know it all depends on the fish's personality too. I just talked to my girlfriend and I think we are going to try it. If he doesn't get along then I will see how he does in my other tank. [emoji3]

I know it all depends on the fish's personality too. I just talked to my girlfriend and I think we are going to try it. If he doesn't get along then I will see how he does in my other tank. [emoji3]
Thank you. I pray all goes well in the critter kingdom!

Might even be different personalities to the fish. I had a gourami that was fine with the betta. The betta wasn't and got in a few before the gourami had enough. Had to shift the betta out to a small tank to save him from himself. A backup plan always handy if you try it.

Might even be different personalities to the fish. I had a gourami that was fine with the betta. The betta wasn't and got in a few before the gourami had enough. Had to shift the betta out to a small tank to save him from himself. A backup plan always handy if you try it.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have numerous other tanks so I can definitely make sure everyone is happy and safe in the tanks. [emoji3]. My community tank is pretty chill so I'm hoping that a 60 gallon with tons of hiding places and adding some entertainment will give a betta plenty of enjoyment without anyone fighting. I will keep an eye on them when I get him and will let everyone know how it goes.

Yes, personalities and fish age, as well as whether they are trying to breed all will play into a tank dynamic.

A female Betta can be a good selection and there are some beauties too. One I had would scurry around "bossing" all the Guppies and other misc. fish which like to be around the top of the tank, and they all learned to mind her. She would often keep them away from her spot of the day, changed often, but then she would swim right along with them. Huge amount of personality there.

I also have had 2 types of Gourami together Pearl male and female Opaline, and then the same Pearl Male, he was a calm and peaceful one though with a male and later with one male Dwarf Gourami. They just avoided each other.

Clown loaches eat every snail around but get huge, about 10" to 1 foot.

Less feeding will help. Many fish always act like they are starving.

Yes, personalities and fish age, as well as whether they are trying to breed all will play into a tank dynamic.

A female Betta can be a good selection and there are some beauties too. One I had would scurry around "bossing" all the Guppies and other misc. fish which like to be around the top of the tank, and they all learned to mind her. She would often keep them away from her spot of the day, changed often, but then she would swim right along with them. Huge amount of personality there.

I also have had 2 types of Gourami together Pearl male and female Opaline, and then the same Pearl Male, he was a calm and peaceful one though with a male and later with one male Dwarf Gourami. They just avoided each other.

Clown loaches eat every snail around but get huge, about 10" to 1 foot.

Less feeding will help. Many fish always act like they are starving.
Yes. I have learned that I completely over feed my fish. I always felt bad cuz they were always searching for food. I have cut back a ton on food.

So do u think a female is a better idea than a male betta? My girlfriend loves the crown tails cuz she thinks they look like dreadlocks. Lol

And I was hoping loaches would help some with the snails. I will be getting kuhlis at some point... I'm not sure if they eat small snails or not.

I might think that the Loaches Yoyo and Kuhli would be fine and yes all would eat some snails, Yoyo being the big eaters.

If the Male Betta is really a problem then move him to his own 5G. Get the male Crowntail, if it is what you like & if it works okay. There are also Crowntail females, you might have to be patient for a nice looking one or order online.

Let me warn you, shopping for Bettas from over seas is eye popping and you will need to contact a trans shipper if from over sea trip. Just looking at the amazing fish from breeders on sites like aquabid can make you give up your wallet. Its fun to look...

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have numerous other tanks so I can definitely make sure everyone is happy and safe in the tanks. [emoji3]. My community tank is pretty chill so I'm hoping that a 60 gallon with tons of hiding places and adding some entertainment will give a betta plenty of enjoyment without anyone fighting. I will keep an eye on them when I get him and will let everyone know how it goes.
I recently posted my most recent experience with bettas and Gourami in the same tank as being successful, but as I think back, I've always kept a male betta in my community tanks without problems. When 1st introducing the bettas to each tank, I do remember a few times when the bettas would flare their gill covers while being investigated, but never worse than that.

Handy info. Might keep an eye out for a short fin betta.
Getting a betta or loaches or whatever creatures you like is fantastic. But there is an item especially made to scape the snails off the side and catches them so they can be disposed of. It's made and sold on Germany. I called Dennerle snail catcher. You can order it at aquaristikshop.com It shows it's price as 8.49 EUR ($10.42). I don't know the postage amount, but they will show you on the site. It even has an extendable handle for taller tanks.

Getting a betta or loaches or whatever creatures you like is fantastic. But there is an item especially made to scape the snails off the side and catches them so they can be disposed of. It's made and sold on Germany. I called Dennerle snail catcher. You can order it at aquaristikshop.com It shows it's price as 8.49 EUR ($10.42). I don't know the postage amount, but they will show you on the site. It even has an extendable handle for taller tanks.
Thanks. I will check them out

Back
Top Bottom