Help with ramshorns!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afink1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am going to be transferring my 20 and 30 gallon tanks into my new 60 gallon tank this week and need some ideas with controlling the snails. The ramshorn snails just keep multiplying. I read assassin snails, yoyo loach, or clown loach. What do u think is most compatible with my tank?

2 - gouramis
6 - mollies
6 - cories
6 - rummynose
2 - small plecos
2 - bamboo shrimp
6 - ghost shrimp
2 - mystery snails

And soon to be 6 khuli loaches

I am curious to hear if anyone has advice. We had some Ramshorns arrive in our tank via plants. I keep pulling them out as soon as I see them. We have Nerite snails so I do not want to put anything in the tank that will get them.

Both loaches will get snails. My yoyo loaches cleaned up ramshorn snails but mystery (apple?) snails were too big for them. Smaller chain loaches will also tackle snails I’ve read.

Both loaches will get snails. My yoyo loaches cleaned up ramshorn snails but mystery (apple?) snails were too big for them. Smaller chain loaches will also tackle snails I’ve read.
I keep getting mixed info on my research on the yoyo loach. So excited sites say they are semi aggressive and some so peaceful. Do u think a group of 4 yoyos would be ok in my community tank?

I have 3 horse face loaches and I have a snail problem at the moment I heap of snails came into my tank from live plant. I thought they were turbos but they are ramshorns my horse face loaches keep mine at bay and I was told they don't eat anything other than sift sand. But they were wrong they eat everything

I keep getting mixed info on my research on the yoyo loach. So excited sites say they are semi aggressive and some so peaceful. Do u think a group of 4 yoyos would be ok in my community tank?

Mine are very friendly but never seen any aggression. Fry are perfectly safe. Very forward though - I’ve seen bn catfish laying on top of them and they will still be trying to ‘help out’ with eating that algae wafer.

Lol. Sounds good. I'm gonna get some yoyos. I will post a pic of my new tank after it's all set up. So excited for this one. Even bought a brand new UV canister.

I am going to be transferring my 20 and 30 gallon tanks into my new 60 gallon tank this week and need some ideas with controlling the snails. The ramshorn snails just keep multiplying. I read assassin snails, yoyo loach, or clown loach. What do u think is most compatible with my tank?

2 - gouramis
6 - mollies
6 - cories
6 - rummynose
2 - small plecos
2 - bamboo shrimp
6 - ghost shrimp
2 - mystery snails

And soon to be 6 khuli loaches
Yes. Assassin snails will eat ramshorn snails.

I am curious to hear if anyone has advice. We had some Ramshorns arrive in our tank via plants. I keep pulling them out as soon as I see them. We have Nerite snails so I do not want to put anything in the tank that will get them.
The Assassin snails will eat netrite snail eggs.

The Assassin snails will eat netrite snail eggs.
To be honest assassin snails just about eat nothing but other snail and when they finally run out, they're in danger of starving to death...but I have heard they will eat. Shrimp pellets. A betta is a good consideration for munching on ramshorn and get along fine with other fish as long as you only have only one betta.

I wondered on bettas. I’ve had one that used to flare at them and then go off in a sulk. Another didn’t know the tank bottom existed (gave up on sinking pellets).

I wondered on bettas. I’ve had one that used to flare at them and then go off in a sulk. Another didn’t know the tank bottom existed (gave up on sinking pellets).
I've never had to deal with a plague of ramshorn snails. The best fish solution would be a pea puffer. But they need food with shells because they otherwise have tooth overgrowth problems. Try typing Aquarium snail traps into Google and see what's available. Good luck.

To be honest assassin snails just about eat nothing but other snail and when they finally run out, they're in danger of starving to death...but I have heard they will eat. Shrimp pellets. A betta is a good consideration for munching on ramshorn and get along fine with other fish as long as you only have only one betta.
Will a betta be ok with my other fish? I would love to get a vibrant colored betta if they will help the problem and add some more beauty.

I've never had to deal with a plague of ramshorn snails. The best fish solution would be a pea puffer. But they need food with shells because they otherwise have tooth overgrowth problems. Try typing Aquarium snail traps into Google and see what's available. Good luck.
I looooove pea puffers. I am planning on getting a species only tank set up for some later on.

Will a betta be ok with my other fish? I would love to get a vibrant colored betta if they will help the problem and add some more beauty.
Yes. Male bettas only fight with and even kill other male bettas and other fish usually just ignore them. The absolute best fish for the ramshorns would be a freshwater pea puffers. But all puffer species need food with shells like snails, crabs, and even hard shelled muscles. They otherwise have tooth overgrowth that will eventually render them unable to eat. So if a puffer gets rid of all the snails, you'll need something else. You may also Google "Aquarium snail traps" to see what possible products are available. Good luck. A nice colorful betta would make a nice addition whether it solves your problem or not...worth a try.

Yes. Male bettas only fight with and even kill other male bettas and other fish usually just ignore them. The absolute best fish for the ramshorns would be a freshwater pea puffers. But all puffer species need food with shells like snails, crabs, and even hard shelled muscles. They otherwise have tooth overgrowth that will eventually render them unable to eat. So if a puffer gets rid of all the snails, you'll need something else. You may also Google "Aquarium snail traps" to see what possible products are available. Good luck. A nice colorful betta would make a nice addition whether it solves your problem or not...worth a try.
Sounds great! I will research the snail traps and find myself a beautiful male betta. [emoji3]

Sounds great! I will research the snail traps and find myself a beautiful male betta. [emoji3]
Just have fun shopping. The availability of beautiful male betta types and colors and patterns has exploded over the past couple of years...you'll be amazed.

Back
Top Bottom