help with rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartman57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i went to the local stream and found some bigger rocks to build caves with. i scrubed them and soaked them for 2 days. now i am ready to put them in and i scrubbed them again and tried to wipe them with a towel. when i did this they are leaving brown stuff on the towel what is this and what should i do? should i put them in? or get new ones and whenre from?

Did you do a vinegar test on them? I guess the only thing you can do is keep scrubbing them until the brown stuff is gone.

i just tested them with viniger and no fizz. do you think think it would be better to start over with rocks from a stone company would this stuff effect my tank after soarking them for 2 days. should i use bleach now? im a little hesitant about bleach

Bring them to one of those wash the car yourself carwashes and spray them down with the pressure sprayers for a few minutes. That should remove any debris that will be removed. After that, I would soak them in a bleach/water solution for a couple of days to kill anything that may be living on the rocks. Rinse the rocks now and let them dry. Do the sniff test next. I you can smell any bleach, rinse some more. Do this til you can't smell bleach anymore. Then do the vinegar test again. If it passes these tests, it should be ready for the tank.

belive it or not i just got back from the car wash spreying the rocks!! it worked!!!!!!!!11 i am just going to soak them one more night to be sure!!! on emore question! its is 9:30pm now am i an addict for going to the car wash at 9 oclock at night for my fish tank??? i think so
thank you

I baked all my rocks that I got from a creek at 500 degrees for an hour or so. Scrubbed them down first before putting them iv the oven. No problems and Ive had them in the tank for well over 6 months now.

it kills the stuff. like you boil water. thats called distilled water if you do it right

Back
Top Bottom