Help With Sexing Mollies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks for the reply! i've actually been able to get some good looks at my lyretail, and im almost positive it is a male due to the fin :) i also dont have the black molly anymore, due to him being a bit aggressive. luckily, my grandparents really wanted yet another black molly in their huge tank, lol!! well, basically i'm just really nervous to raise them. i feel like i'll just mess it up being a basically beginner. i know it sounds dumb, lol, i just am afraid of messing up and basically killing all of the fry. plus, i only have a ten gallon tank that my mollies are in, i heard that's too small to raise fry, is this true? :) have a good day!!

Khloe

Just be on top of weekly water changes and that 10g won't be a problem. Keep an eye out on petco sales with their tanks, 1$ a gallon is a super deal for a bug upgrade. Others talked about plants to keep them safe and that's very true, and as I said a breading net works well too. I'll show you what I've done foe my fry. I have 4 in there atm and they are growing each day! Having fry grow up infront of you is really something special!! If you need any molly advice PM me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424876433487.jpg
    1424876433487.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 54
Just be on top of weekly water changes and that 10g won't be a problem. Keep an eye out on petco sales with their tanks, 1$ a gallon is a super deal for a bug upgrade. Others talked about plants to keep them safe and that's very true, and as I said a breading net works well too. I'll show you what I've done foe my fry. I have 4 in there atm and they are growing each day! Having fry grow up infront of you is really something special!! If you need any molly advice PM me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ok thanks very much! that breeder net is really cool! and i do a water change for my 10g and two betta tanks every friday so i'll definitely keep on top of that :) i guess i'll see how it goes and keep an eye out for any signs of a pregnant molly!!

Khloe

Khloe, don't you worry about raising those baby mollies, you'll do great! A 10gallon is fine! Floating plants are great for sure. Just crush up their flake food into very small bits that can fit into their mouths. Watch their tummies to make sure they are full. At 3 months, I usually like to separate them by gender, because they aren't old enough to sex until then. I was worried about raising mollies my first time, too - so I understand where you're coming from. :)

thank you soo much!! i really appreciate the advice. i'll definitely look into the floating plants and hope for the best if i get fry! :D

Khloe

One other thing you could use is a breeding trap. I've never used it before but from what I've heard it helps keep the fry away from the mother so they don't get eaten

Sent from peliper

Back
Top Bottom