Help with show tank!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ewe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in need of a little advice. I want to turn my 55 gallon tank into a sweet looking show tank. Currently in the tank Is a 4" pelco and a breeding pair of angles. The tank has a small gravel bottom and a lice of drift wood and a rock pile in one side.

This is my fish list so far
2 angels
3-4 silver dollar fish
6 serpaes tetras
1 sucker fish (pelco)
1-2 blue rams

is this to many fish??? For a 55 gallon tank

do you think rock or sand would look better with these fish??

The main focal point is the angles!!

I want a natural amazon looking tank!!

Any input would be great

sand almost always looks better, but its a pain in the *** and makes a mess.get bolivian rams then though they might wreck your tank when/if they breed. i think those angels will kill a lot of your fish like the tetras and the silver dollars once they get bigger. angels are reallly picky when it comes to fishmates so if you plan on keeping them be watchful of them.if you want that look get an appropriate backdrop that will help

Welcome!!!!

So im taking it the tank isnt set up? Have you done your cycle? What kind of filtration?

If you havent stocked yet then your good, because i would have to advise against getting silver dollars in a 55 as they can get very large. Also, i would suggest getting more angels as they can get very bullyish if you dont have the right male/female ratio. Other than that i think your on the right track. Sand is always a great choice IMO and if you want a natural amazon tank go for the sakrete natural play sand.

Good luck and post some pics

sand almost always looks better, but its a pain in the *** and makes a mess.get bolivian rams then though they might wreck your tank when/if they breed. i think those angels will kill alot of your fish like the tetras and the silver dollars once they get bigger. angels are reallly picky when it comes to fishmates so if you plan on keeping them be watchful of them.

Angels will be ok with serape tetras because they get way larger than the angels mouth and see my above comment about the silver dollars.

The tank has been up and running for 1 1/2 years. The angels are full grown and are a pair ( breeding). I thought of haveing only one angle so you won't have the bully problem but idk I have had the angles for 5 months now. Filtration is a H.O.T. Magnum hang on tank canister filter ( measured flow rate is 250 gallons per hour). It is attached to 2 bio- wheel pros also. So I think I am very good on filtration!! I also have the option of putting a spunge filter in there also!!

So no silver dollars?:(

I did indeed pick the serpae because they get bigger :)

Ok, well know that I know they're a breeding pair DO NOT get rid of them or separate them as you have the potential to get some decent lfs credit or money for the fry. If you don't want to deal with fry then sell them and get some non breeding pairs.

Oh lol no I would not split them!! Lol I would just get another angle! I have another tank for the pair.

How much gallons per fish do silver dollar fish need???

I have some silver dollars with an angel and have had no problems at all. Don't know if it would be different with two angels, but my experience so far has been good.

Well I think I am going to go back to just one angle so I don't have the pair issue.

So this is my new fish list

1 angle
3 silver dollar dish
6 serpae tetras
1 sucker fish(pelco)

Do you have obtuse angles?

;)

Sorry! Had to....

Sorry to say this to you but, I despise silver dollars. They are plant eating machines, little aquatic lawn mowers. You will probably have more success with them than me because I always picked the fine leaved plants lol.

so you have a mated pair of angels now, but you're wanting another? If so, you'll be lucky to keep the new one alive, especially once the mated pair starts breeding

Ey won't be in the same tank ever so it won't matter and they already have spawned many times for me I just can't hold up my end of the deal and get them to free swimming!

Back
Top Bottom