Help with stalking!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help with stocking!!

So I recently purchased 2 10 gallon tanks that are way over stalked! Sadly I couldn't return them as it was an as is deal and the guy drove over an hour to deliver them. So I now have two heavily planted 10 gallons one 10 gallon has about
10-20 multifasciatus shell dwellers
10-15 guppies
2 mollies
3 > 1" bn plecos
1 large cory cat (now moved to be 10 gallon planted betta tank)
Sand substrate sponge filter not sure on plants but there are A LOT of them.
The other 10 gallon
5-7 kribs
10-12 bn plecos > 2"
Has dirt substrate and the kribs are always stiring it up so it never settles and very HEAVILY planted
Both of these tanks are over run with snails!!! Any advice on how to get rid of them?! I'd say a 100-200 in each tank! This being said I cant move any of the plants to make room for the fish for right now as I dont want to move them for at least 2 weeks so I know they're healthy and not spreading anything to my other tanks.
I currently have a cycled 45 hex with 2 angel koi 2 black zebra angels pair (soon to be moved to their own 20 gallon for breeding) and a common pleco 4".

A 20 long cycled
4 giant danios(currently trying to rehome)
3 trios of multies to this tank?
1 pair of kribs? (Friend is taking the rest)

10 gallon planted betta tank cycled
A dragon scale betta
Cory cat
7 danios

I was going to leave the guppies and mollies in the 10 gallon and sell until I only have the molloes and about 8 guppies left.

The 10 gallon with kribs and plecos is going to a friend but im keeping 3 bn plecos rest are being sold.

PLEASE HELP!! I'm new to the aquarium world and not sure who can be with who.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

well you spelled "stocked" wrong.... and if i were you i would get rid of all those fish to someone who can care for them in a bigger tank because that many fish in a 10 gallon is not a good thing even in a 45 hex. Uhhhmmmmm its hard to say maybe just keep up the water changes and good filtration and get those fish to a proper home fast. if you want to move the plants just rinse them with tank water properly and you will be good. just shake a bit, softly rub the roots, and the leaves

Just an idea, but if you want to sell any of the fish here on the forum, you might post this in classifieds. You can specify local pick up.

If you need to remove plants, just put them in a container of tank water where they will get light but not direct sunlight. I've done this more than once to quarantine plants. They should be fine for days to weeks depending on the kind of plant.

If you can't sell the fish then just rehome to good homes.

I can tell you that corys like to be kept in schools of their own species. 3 is the smallest school I'd do.

The snails are the least of your problems at the moment, but you can get assassin snails that will eat them.

well you spelled "stocked" wrong.... and if i were you i would get rid of all those fish to someone who can care for them in a bigger tank because that many fish in a 10 gallon is not a good thing even in a 45 hex. Uhhhmmmmm its hard to say maybe just keep up the water changes and good filtration and get those fish to a proper home fast. if you want to move the plants just rinse them with tank water properly and you will be good. just shake a bit, softly rub the roots, and the leaves

I use my phone and it auto corrected it and since I'm on my phone I can't edit it sadly.... ok thanks on the plant advice. I have tanks to house most of these guys and I will be rehoming all that I that I don't have room for.

Just an idea, but if you want to sell any of the fish here on the forum, you might post this in classifieds. You can specify local pick up.

If you need to remove plants, just put them in a container of tank water where they will get light but not direct sunlight. I've done this more than once to quarantine plants. They should be fine for days to weeks depending on the kind of plant.

If you can't sell the fish then just rehome to good homes.

I can tell you that corys like to be kept in schools of their own species. 3 is the smallest school I'd do.

The snails are the least of your problems at the moment, but you can get assassin snails that will eat them.

I do plan on posting but I want to make sure they're good quality so I don't develop a bad rep so I'm going to quarantine at least a week to make sure fish are healthy thanks for the idea about local pickup :)

Thanks for the plant advice its so crowded I cant even tell what's in my tank!

I plan on picking up a few cory cats and placing them in my 45 gallon as the 10 is to small unless they're dwarfs i believe? This was kind of an emergency to save this guy and not being able to quarantine I did not want to put him in with my angel pair... so I hope he'll be ok by himself for a little while? At least he's not being forced to stay in a corner all day it was to much for me go watch I had to move him.

Umm I believe they are assassin snails but I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see.

Thanks for your help!:)

Yeah, I saw the subject and thought "Uh-oh!"
I would hold off on getting any new fish for now. You run the risk of introducing something unexpectedly to the fish you currently have (until you get a chance to rehome/sell some of them).

Yeah, I saw the subject and thought "Uh-oh!"
I would hold off on getting any new fish for now. You run the risk of introducing something unexpectedly to the fish you currently have (until you get a chance to rehome/sell some of them).

Very good point I wasn't planning on taking on anymore fish unless its absoultley nessasary don't want my cory being stressed from not having any buddies but he seems very happy in his new tank.

Very good point I wasn't planning on taking on anymore fish unless its absoultley nessasary don't want my cory being stressed from not having any buddies but he seems very happy in his new tank.

I'd take stress over ich any day. Especially if you want to unload some and keep a good rep.

I'm really sorry. More corys is not an emergency. It was a long term stocking suggestion. I was not at all clear about that.

I'm glad you don't want to get a bad rep, but if you are honest about this situation and people know that they need to quarantine, especially if your prices are low or you rehome for free, you won't get a bad rep. The most important thing is to get those fish into more suitable homes.

I'm really sorry. More corys is not an emergency. It was a long term stocking suggestion. I was not at all clear about that.

I'm glad you don't want to get a bad rep, but if you are honest about this situation and people know that they need to quarantine, especially if your prices are low or you rehome for free, you won't get a bad rep. The most important thing is to get those fish into more suitable homes.

I'm moving them to empty tanks tomorrow so they wont be able to harm any other fish if there is something wrong. I should have enough tank space as a friend is taking the 10 gallon with all kribs and bn plecos and moving them to a 20 gallon empty cycled tank which should help... I dont believe the fish are in any real danger right now the water chemistry is ok in the tanks atm... I will be rehoming some to thin down my stock as I plan to breed. I will post an add in classifieds after a get tanks set up and decide who I'm keeping and selling.

I'm moving them to empty tanks tomorrow so they wont be able to harm any other fish if there is something wrong. I should have enough tank space as a friend is taking the 10 gallon with all kribs and bn plecos and moving them to a 20 gallon empty cycled tank which should help... I dont believe the fish are in any real danger right now the water chemistry is ok in the tanks atm... I will be rehoming some to thin down my stock as I plan to breed. I will post an add in classifieds after a get tanks set up and decide who I'm keeping and selling.

Sounds like a plan. Best wishes.

Hopefully all goes well and I can get everyone new happy homes. From what I was told these fish have been living like this for around 3 years ):

Just saw this on one of my male multies battle scars or is he sick? He seems to be the outcast as there are about 7-9 males im the 10 gallon alone. Sorry for the bad pictures I only have a phone/: but it almost looks like "skin" is peeling right on top and a little behind his head :( *worried*

Attachments

• 1403107136065.jpg
    1403107136065.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom