Help with stocking 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just started cycling a 75 gallon freshwater tank. I have a 20 gallon sump and plan on planting pretty heavily and eventually (within 2 months) running CO2 injection with ferts. I also want to breed some dwarf cichlids, as well as keep a good variety of other community fish. I've never had a tank larger than 29 gallons so I'm not sure how many fish to stock.

Here's my idea, let me know what you think:

-4 Bolivian Rams (hoping for a pair, then sell/trade the extra 2)
-4 Cockatoo Apisto (hoping for a pair, sell/trade the extra 2)
-4 Agassizii Apisto (hoping for a pair, then sell/trade the extra 2)
-1 Black Veil Angelfish
-6 Panda Cories
-6 Agassizi Cories
-10 Cardinal Tetras
-2 Bushy Nose Plecos

Can I comfortably fit any more fish in there or am I already over stocked? My filtration will be pretty high considering I'll have a 90 gallon system (75 gallons display tank, 15 gallons in 20 gallon sump) with a ton of plants and filter around 650 gph through the sump.

Considering that you'd be trimming those first three down to pairs, and that none of them are particularly messy, or large fish... if it were my tank, I'd feel comfortable adding a few more fish.

Edit: Also, huzzah for sumps! I'm getting ready to build one out of a 20g for my 56g.

If you plan to have 3 pairs of different species of dwarf cichlid then I would probably cut out one of the cory species. They are going to spend most of their time at or near the bottom, so it's going to get crowded. At the same time, I'd up the number of the species that you decide to keep, if you pick pandas they may spend a lot of time hiding if you don't fill out their numbers, I don't know about the others.

You definitely have more room, I'd probably pick another schooler to go with the cardinals.

Thanks for the replies and good luck with your sump Roku, I've spent the last few weeks building the stand and building the sump out of acrylic. I've been out on worker's comp so it is definitely keeping me busy.

Jeta, what amount of pandas would you think would make them comfortable enough to come out in the open?

What do you guys think about rummynose tetras as a second school of fish? I've never kept them but I read good things.

I'm also thinking about a second angelfish or maybe a rainbow boesemani as a large "eye grabber", any ideas?

My pandas are shy, I rarely saw them in the densely planted 40b, and I had a dozen of them. I since moved them to a 20L and I definitely see them more often.

They are really small, slightly bigger than the dwarf cory species, so IMO the more the better, just a few would get lost in a larger tank like yours.

Rokuzachi said:
Considering that you'd be trimming those first three down to pairs, and that none of them are particularly messy, or large fish... if it were my tank, I'd feel comfortable adding a few more fish.

Edit: Also, huzzah for sumps! I'm getting ready to build one out of a 20g for my 56g.

Hey guys.... What are sumps and what's ther purpose???

If the pandas are that small and shy maybe I'm not so interested in them, do you have any suggestions for other species of cories?

And if 2 angels does reduce aggression I would definitely do that, I had just never heard it before.

And sumps are basically separate tanks usually located below the main tank (most often inside the stand). The second tank is used to increase water volume to provide more stability and lower fluctuations, as well as provide filtration and water movement

I have a lot of angels and normally they are not aggressive to other species. The only exception i've noticed is if they are breeding/guarding eggs or fry.

One reocurring issue that I've had is when I have groups of angels, if there is more than one male, he will bully the other(s) constantly if there is a female present.

As far as corys go, if you plan to keep the temps around 80+, maybe go with some sterbai, beautiful fish. I plan to get some for my discus tank once I find a good deal on them.

Are you thinking to breed the cichlids in the 75? The angelfish will be a problem for Apsito fry, and you're pushing the limits with 3 species of substrate spawners in a 4' tank. Better to settle on 2 so there's less conflict over territories.

I'm having some technical difficulties. I think I didn't put enough teflon on one of the threads because I have a slow leak on the return line INSIDE the stand. I think I have to drain the water, empty the sand, and somehow get inside there and disassemble/reassemble this whole thing. Any ideas?

That bites. I've got a few tanks with bottom's drilled but I have only one that is actually in use, the others have the holes sealed off with glass plates. It sounds like you are going to have to do that, or at least drain it down and move the sand out of the area enough to work on the tubing.

Back
Top Bottom