Help with test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garganoth

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a api freshwater master test kit and tested my tanks for the first time. I'm kind of panicked about the results.

Tank 1 /45 gallon community tank
Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm

Tank 2 /75 gallon cichlid tank
Ph: 7.2
Ammonia: .50 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm

I am assuming I need to address the nitrate first...should I start with partial water changes? Any recommendations on additives to help balance everything?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't say nitrates need to be first, they are very high but any amount of ammonia and nitrites can be really harmful too. You should do a 50% water change asap and then test the water again. Do that over and over until you get healthy test results. I had to do 50% water changes daily for about 2 weeks until my water was safe :/

And also Prime is a really good water conditioner, if you can get it you should add it with every water change. Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll start the water changes ASAP. I'm currently using kordon novaqua water conditioner. Is that ok?

I haven't heard of that brand but that doesn't mean it's not good. From what I've read, most experienced fish keepers use prime. You should use up what you have and then buy some Prime when you run out.

You're either incredibly overstocked or been a bit lax with water changes by the look of those...

You're either incredibly overstocked or been a bit lax with water changes by the look of those...

How often should I be doing water changes? Is 20-30% once a week not enough? I'm about 85% stocked in both tanks.

How often should I be doing water changes? Is 20-30% once a week not enough? I'm about 85% stocked in both tanks.

You should do as many as the nitrate level dictates. Let's say the goal is a nitrate of 20 ppm. You may have to perform WCs twice a week at 25-50% to keep the nitrate down.
Since you are not over stocked then perhaps the filters cannot keep with the ammonia and nitrite conversion. What filters are you running and what kind of maintenance is performed on them?

Back
Top Bottom