Help with the lettuce trick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I put some pieces of iceberg lettuce in my tank to try and catch some snails. I had to weigh down the leaves with gravel as they wanted to float. The snails don't seem to be attracted. Am I doing this wrong? They go for algae wafers like crazy. Should I put one on each lettuce leaf?
Thanks!

Usually they say put it in and weigh it down then turn off the lights. Pick it up the next morning before lights on. If that's what you're doing and it's not working, sure, go ahead and put an algae wafer on there. Might try taking a cheap, small piece of tupperware or light plastic bowl/cup of some type and cutting a couple holes in it big enough for the snails but not any fish to get through (weighted down to keep it still) to make sure your fish don't disturb the lettuce or algae wafer. Maybe try romaine lettuce? You may have snobby snails who find iceberg lettuce as pointless as I do *rofl*

^_^

KaylNeko said:
Usually they say put it in and weigh it down then turn off the lights. Pick it up the next morning before lights on. If that's what you're doing and it's not working, sure, go ahead and put an algae wafer on there. Might try taking a cheap, small piece of tupperware or light plastic bowl/cup of some type and cutting a couple holes in it big enough for the snails but not any fish to get through (weighted down to keep it still) to make sure your fish don't disturb the lettuce or algae wafer. Maybe try romaine lettuce? You may have snobby snails who find iceberg lettuce as pointless as I do *rofl*

^_^

+1
I cut some small holes in an old yogurt tub (with lid) and put some lettuce in there. I actually left in in 3 days so the lettuce got all slimy and that seems to attract them more.

Back
Top Bottom