Help with this nitrate reading please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
In person it's a lighter shade of orange but in the Pic my Phone makes it look darker than it is, to me it looks like 20-30 but others say 60 and I know it's not that.

I also know api is not very good on the nitrate test but haven't ordered the one recommended to me "salifert"

Nitrate https://imgur.com/a/g1FwJlI

In person it's a lighter shade of orange but in the Pic my Phone makes it look darker than it is, to me it looks like 20-30 but others say 60 and I know it's not that.

I also know api is not very good on the nitrate test but haven't ordered the one recommended to me "salifert"

Nitrate https://imgur.com/a/g1FwJlI
I've been taking my nitrate tube outside into the sunlight.

I just always test the same every time . Same lights same white background ..
For what any test is worth you really only need a baseline [comparison] and then do the right thing according what it is saying in compare to clean water ...
You could always add 1/2 [half] the drops and see if you think you can read that better . All you need to do to know true is multiply that reading by 2...

I just always test the same every time . Same lights same white background ..
For what any test is worth you really only need a baseline [comparison] and then do the right thing according what it is saying in compare to clean water ...
You could always add 1/2 [half] the drops and see if you think you can read that better . All you need to do to know true is multiply that reading by 2...
Yeah I could do that.. I was told salifert is the actual test kit i need to go with, the issue is I have to up my fert dosing due to the new light has dramatically increased plant uptake, thrive at 4 ml adds 2.5 ppm nitrate I need to increase to 6 ml which adds 4 something, or I need to go to dry ferts and eliminate the no3

Yeah I could do that.. I was told salifert is the actual test kit i need to go with, the issue is I have to up my fert dosing due to the new light has dramatically increased plant uptake, thrive at 4 ml adds 2.5 ppm nitrate I need to increase to 6 ml which adds 4 something, or I need to go to dry ferts and eliminate the no3

Why are you wanting to limit NO3? I run mine up to 30-40ppm on purpose in my planted tank (KNO3 dosing + heavy fish load).

Why are you wanting to limit NO3? I run mine up to 30-40ppm on purpose in my planted tank (KNO3 dosing + heavy fish load).
I was told that anything over 30 risks more chances of algae /stess to the fish themselves as long exposure to nitrate does weaken a fishes immune system, but there's a lot of debate as far as thats concerned.

I was told that anything over 30 risks more chances of algae /stess to the fish themselves as long exposure to nitrate does weaken a fishes immune system, but there's a lot of debate as far as thats concerned.

While ideally for fish, yes I agree, < 30ppm should be aimed for, brief 30+ (nearing the end of the week) should be of little concern AFAIK.

Algae thrives in the presence of ammonia, I believe it requires ammonia for germination, not so much nitrates. One thing I think we can all agree on, is that many planted tank folk dose tons and tons of NO3 with more benefit than harm.

This is also where I see the issues with using an all in on fert. If fish waste is providing adequate NO3, but not the other 2 macros + micros, we are stuck doing NO3 up even higher in order to get the K, P and micros.

Other steps to take are proper mulm / detritus removal, filter cleanings and large water changes. This will help keep NO3 in check so we can dose more for the plants ;)

While ideally for fish, yes I agree, < 30ppm should be aimed for, brief 30+ (nearing the end of the week) should be of little concern AFAIK.

Algae thrives in the presence of ammonia, I believe it requires ammonia for germination, not so much nitrates. One thing I think we can all agree on, is that many planted tank folk dose tons and tons of NO3 with more benefit than harm.

This is also where I see the issues with using an all in on fert. If fish waste is providing adequate NO3, but not the other 2 macros + micros, we are stuck doing NO3 up even higher in order to get the K, P and micros.

Other steps to take are proper mulm / detritus removal, filter cleanings and large water changes. This will help keep NO3 in check so we can dose more for the plants ;)
Well there multiple ways to dose ferts, Ei, ppmd, poor man's dosing, Ei weekly low light etc etc, it also depends on the plant mass in the tank and which plants are present on which dosing method one should choose, algae is caused by numerous things the one that is most common is unhealthy plants, or not enough plant mass to combat algae (which I don't have but will after I order more plants) I wanna be at about 50% plant mass, right now I'm at about 20-25% I would estimate.

Here's the thing, there's absolutely no possible way my tank is 30+ nitrate with 7 rainbows, 6 ornate tetras, 6 lemon tetras 1 bn, my tap has 2 ppm nitrate, my ferts add 5 ppm over the course of a week, I have a 55 gallon moderately planted just ordered 26 more plants, with 50% water changes every week, 1 aquaclear 110 and 1 aquaclear 70, no way, the math doesn't add up.

Here's the thing, there's absolutely no possible way my tank is 30+ nitrate with 7 rainbows, 6 ornate tetras, 6 lemon tetras 1 bn, my tap has 2 ppm nitrate, my ferts add 5 ppm over the course of a week, I have a 55 gallon moderately planted just ordered 26 more plants, with 50% water changes every week, 1 aquaclear 110 and 1 aquaclear 70, no way, the math doesn't add up.

I have 0 fish in one of my very heavily planted tanks, last time I checked the NO3 was the deepest red possible. Likely 160-200ppm with no fish and moderate dosing. I wouldn't think twice about 30ppm with your set up.

Like I said, test, perform a 50% WC and test again. Usually this helps better define a correct value.

I have 0 fish in one of my very heavily planted tanks, last time I checked the NO3 was the deepest red possible. Likely 160-200ppm with no fish and moderate dosing. I wouldn't think twice about 30ppm with your set up.

Like I said, test, perform a 50% WC and test again. Usually this helps better define a correct value.
Yeah I'm just over thinking everything because of the tank values of top aquascapers tanks and their input , making me double think everything

Back
Top Bottom