HELP: Yeast in the Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly I had the same thing happen... I had to start over on my tank...
Be prepared... Mine was a long process...

I put my bush in a large plastic container I had (they were in for about 6 total hours.
1)Tear down the tank... I mean empty it removing the substrate (easier of u have gravel compared to sand of course)
2) Prepare some bleach and water in a bucket.
31) Start a HUGE pot of boiling water once its boiling put as much substrate in it as you can and boil it (I left mine boil for 10 minutes)
3b) While it is boiling whip down the tank with a paper towel soaked in your water/bleach mix. The reason I say paper towel is it can get into the corners of the tank easier.
don't forget to get the bottom of the upper lip of the tank. I did the tank 3 times. I then filled the tank (untreated water) and emptied it 3 times, empty it each time. after time u empty it whip it down with vinegar.
4) after the 3rd time u emptied the tank you can put the substrate back in (assuming u have boiled and rinsed it all off.)
5) If you have any live plants you can dip them in a 20:1 bleach/water solution just be sure you rinse them off with treated water.
6) refill the tank and unfortunately (if you don't have anyone who can give u media) cycle the tank with the fish in it.

Just remember you MUST clean the heater like you would the plants and doint boil anything plastic. You filter MIGHT have to be replaced I did mine just because I couldnt get the bleach and water solution in everything and I was freaked out it would come back.

I was away on vacation and the tank was blacked out for 5 days and I accidentally knocked the CO2 bottle over and the bottle leaked into the tank. For 5 days it sat in 78 degree temps... just fermenting... i came home to what smelled like a dead body... It killed all my fish but 3 neons :(

Good luck

Encouraging!!!

Well my Ammonia is still at 0.2, nitrite absent, and the water foggyer that ever, but the "dead body smell" is pretty much gone.

Unless anybody says other wise, I'll check my parameters every day and do 50% water changes ONLY if those parameters go wacko on me.

Else I'll be patient and hope nature stabilizes itself!

or you just use NaCl vs wasting money on aquarium salt.

Yeah, but then I'd have to calculate the amount to put in. The aquarium salt has the dosage on the box... definitely worth the extra money. :p

I'll reword my suggestion tho. Use aquarium safe salt (I think some salts have other things added), and stop by the pet store and look at the recommended dosage. Then, actually you could probably cut that dosage in half and still be good.

I just figured out (remembered) how you can solve your problem. Get some daphnia (online or outside) and they'll eventually eat up all the yeast ( if they don't all get eaten)

Don't think their is yeast anymore since it does not smell.

But if this is a bloom, it is the biggest bloom ever! I can't even see half an inch in the tank... I'll try to wait it out.

WHere could I get daphnia if I go that route eventually???

OK guys, it's been around 9-10 days since this thread. Here is the status...

The day after the last post, things really started clearing up, and 2-3 days later, I could actually see the back wall. All parameters were checked daily, no ammonia, no nitrates, no nitrites, pH 7.2.

That gave me the chance to realise the state of the tank, and remove the many dead leaves the condition had created. Rotting Java Moss everywhere, some dead Riccia, and several dead leaves on other plants I have no idea their names.

This I assume created a never ending dose of organic matter for the bacterias. So I cleaned up as much as I saw and could. That was last wednesday.

Now up to sunday, condition STABLE. Still very cloudy, I can see the back wall, plants are growing again, fish seem happy, all parameters stable and daily checked. Still have the air stone, and still have extra moss filter in the Eheim that I change every other day because it clogs up. I do not remove of course my initial filters as to keep my good bacterias intact.

I keep waiting it up? I keep faith that it's gonna clear up?

Thanks for reading and giving advice.

Back
Top Bottom