Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Help! Yoyo loach stuck

One of my yo yo loaches is stuck in a piece of aquarium decor. He tried to swim out through a hole that is to small and wedged himself in there. He has been struggling to free himself. Unfortunately it hasn't worked. The decoration is made of hard plastic. I don't think I can cut it. Even if I could figure out how to, I'm pretty sure the fish would end up injured. I tried to very gently push him backward, it didn't work. I'm really out of ideas and wondering if the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize him. If anyone had other suggestions I could try I would be very grateful.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully1 View Post
One of my yo yo loaches is stuck in a piece of aquarium decor. He tried to swim out through a hole that is to small and wedged himself in there. He has been struggling to free himself. Unfortunately it hasn't worked. The decoration is made of hard plastic. I don't think I can cut it. Even if I could figure out how to, I'm pretty sure the fish would end up injured. I tried to very gently push him backward, it didn't work. I'm really out of ideas and wondering if the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize him. If anyone had other suggestions I could try I would be very grateful.
If it's hard plastic, try to gently crack and then break away small pieces of plastic underwater with pliars or channel locks until you've broken open the hole to free him.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm not sure how to do this without injuring the fish. As I've tried to help him it looks as though he has gotten his eyeball caught and possibly pulled out. This is awful.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I'm not sure how to do this without injuring the fish.
I had just assumed there would be a part away from the fish's body you could break 1st and then break away small pieces at a time until you freed the fish.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm going to try to go from the bottom. I don't think it can much worse. I really appreciate the advice. I've had this decor for years with no incident. After today I will be throwing away all the decorations with any chance of something like this happening.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I managed to free him! He still has both eyes but ripped his skin just under the eye. His colour is already coming back. I have him in some water with Melafix now. I guess it's time to start setting up a hospital tank. Thank you for your suggestion. I was so scared of further injuring the fish I was hesitant to try. Now I just hope he's fighter and will be able to heal.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

We wish the best for your loachy there strong little buggers ,��
Old 07-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you very much. He is hanging in so far.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I managed to free him! He still has both eyes but ripped his skin just under the eye. His colour is already coming back. I have him in some water with Melafix now. I guess it's time to start setting up a hospital tank. Thank you for your suggestion. I was so scared of further injuring the fish I was hesitant to try. Now I just hope he's fighter and will be able to heal.
I assume it was the breaking of the plastic trick I suggested. A small injury is usually easy in a fish to heal. The only problem that occurs ( usually) is fungal that would grow on any dead tissue around the area, but it's not a high probable condition. I'm glad you were successful in rescuing him. Get ornaments with larger holes from now on. Lol

Tags
loach, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com