Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Unhappy Help! Yoyo loach stuck

One of my yo yo loaches is stuck in a piece of aquarium decor. He tried to swim out through a hole that is to small and wedged himself in there. He has been struggling to free himself. Unfortunately it hasn't worked. The decoration is made of hard plastic. I don't think I can cut it. Even if I could figure out how to, I'm pretty sure the fish would end up injured. I tried to very gently push him backward, it didn't work. I'm really out of ideas and wondering if the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize him. If anyone had other suggestions I could try I would be very grateful.
__________________

__________________
Tully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully1 View Post
One of my yo yo loaches is stuck in a piece of aquarium decor. He tried to swim out through a hole that is to small and wedged himself in there. He has been struggling to free himself. Unfortunately it hasn't worked. The decoration is made of hard plastic. I don't think I can cut it. Even if I could figure out how to, I'm pretty sure the fish would end up injured. I tried to very gently push him backward, it didn't work. I'm really out of ideas and wondering if the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize him. If anyone had other suggestions I could try I would be very grateful.
If it's hard plastic, try to gently crack and then break away small pieces of plastic underwater with pliars or channel locks until you've broken open the hole to free him.
__________________

__________________
finnipper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
I'm not sure how to do this without injuring the fish. As I've tried to help him it looks as though he has gotten his eyeball caught and possibly pulled out. This is awful.
__________________
Tully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully1 View Post
I'm not sure how to do this without injuring the fish.
I had just assumed there would be a part away from the fish's body you could break 1st and then break away small pieces at a time until you freed the fish.
__________________
finnipper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
I'm going to try to go from the bottom. I don't think it can much worse. I really appreciate the advice. I've had this decor for years with no incident. After today I will be throwing away all the decorations with any chance of something like this happening.
__________________
Tully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
I managed to free him! He still has both eyes but ripped his skin just under the eye. His colour is already coming back. I have him in some water with Melafix now. I guess it's time to start setting up a hospital tank. Thank you for your suggestion. I was so scared of further injuring the fish I was hesitant to try. Now I just hope he's fighter and will be able to heal.
__________________
Tully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 46
We wish the best for your loachy there strong little buggers ,��
__________________
77speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Thank you very much. He is hanging in so far.
__________________
Tully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully1 View Post
I managed to free him! He still has both eyes but ripped his skin just under the eye. His colour is already coming back. I have him in some water with Melafix now. I guess it's time to start setting up a hospital tank. Thank you for your suggestion. I was so scared of further injuring the fish I was hesitant to try. Now I just hope he's fighter and will be able to heal.
I assume it was the breaking of the plastic trick I suggested. A small injury is usually easy in a fish to heal. The only problem that occurs ( usually) is fungal that would grow on any dead tissue around the area, but it's not a high probable condition. I'm glad you were successful in rescuing him. Get ornaments with larger holes from now on. Lol
__________________

__________________
finnipper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
loach, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anemone stuck in power head. Not chomped up but stuck. Pic help Jonnypro Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 8 04-09-2014 05:16 PM
Yoyo Loach help! FishyLove6283 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 4 03-12-2014 12:44 AM
silver dollars/yoyo loach or silver dollars/clown loach ?? Bubble_B0y Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 01-27-2006 11:53 PM
Clown loach or YoYo loach cougargirl50 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 24 12-28-2005 09:19 AM
Need Quick Help - Yoyo Loach MicroFish Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 10-04-2003 01:42 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.