Helpful trick for feeding your fish veggies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
IF you feed your fish vegetables like lettuce, zucchini, or cucumber you can make them softer and easier to eat if you put them in the freezer for about thirty minutes. Just be sure to thaw them out before you give them to your fish. This is really helpful because if hard veggies like cucumbers are softer it is easier for fish like my African cichlids or a Pleco to eat them. :)

how big or maybe I should say small are the chunks of veggies? how much do you add? I am new to aquariums, having had mine up about 3 months now.

edit: what about thawing frozen veggies?

Is there a way to keep the bits from floating around and getting in the filter? My Goldie's love veg like broccoli and zucchini but the little un-eaten bits end up floating around the tank for hours until the filter cleans it up. Maybe I cook them for too long and they are too soft?

I've been freezing romaine lettuce and spinach for years now. After washing i just put a single layer of leaves between sheets of wax paper and freeze. It really does help break down the fibrous tissue in the plants leaves. Great idea for other veggies as well.
+1 :)

Shanny said:
Is there a way to keep the bits from floating around and getting in the filter? My Goldie's love veg like broccoli and zucchini but the little un-eaten bits end up floating around the tank for hours until the filter cleans it up. Maybe I cook them for too long and they are too soft?

I wish but I don't know any. I never have problems with zucchini though because I don't cook it, just freeze, so my Africans sorta gnaw on it, taking little bites at a time.

Maxkolbe said:
I wish but I don't know any. I never have problems with zucchini though because I don't cook it, just freeze, so my Africans sorta gnaw on it, taking little bites at a time.

I'll have to try that next time rather than cooking it.

Back
Top Bottom