Helping A Friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my friend is getting a fish tank, and is new to fish. I can help with the basic stuff, but the issue is the fish. Like me, my friend has ADHD and likes somewhat mean fish. I thought the perfect kind would be a cichlid. The problem is I know about as much about cichlids as my RCS do. I know he'll need a 30-gal, but idk what type of cichlid would be ideal. I would hate to suggest a fish and then have it be a real sensitive fish and one that I would end up killing. Are there any cichlids that would be alright?

IME Electric Yellow Labs are hardy and active, but not TOO aggressive in the right environment. Don't get me wrong, they are aggressive, but not psycho. Plenty of hiding spots and try to just get one male and the rest females

I would recommend a 55 gallon tank for starters. Your friend will also need to have structure and substrate that will help to keep the pH high, if your friend chooses African cichlids. For example, limestone rock and I believe that a company sells substrate specifically for cichlids. There is a practice with African cichlids that entails slight overstocking of the fish to help curb aggression and this also means that your friend will need filtration that is a higher capacity than a 55g or whatever tank is used. Hope this helps!

I'll be taking him to get the tank. I didn't know cichlids needed all that fancy stuff. I would've said a betta, but he would want a mean-^#* betta. This might be harder than I thought. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom