Helpppp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustergrill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had an angelfish and festivum cichlid together in the same tank for a couple of months, and now, all of a sudden, the festivum won't stop bullying the angelfish.nhe stays on the right sie of the tank and the festivum on the left, but every once and a while the festivum comes over to where angelfish is and chases him out onto the right side, then because angelfish is on the right side, festivum Che's him again back onto the left side.:banghead:this occurs every 15-30min. I don't know why, and I don't want to let my angelfish die. What should I do?.

30 gallon, planted

Has a rainbow shark, an angelfish, a festivum cichlid, and 2x giant danio. Water conditions are fine and I feed them a variety of foods.

IMO I would rehome one or the other. I don't feel a festivum is a good tank mate for an angel expecially in a 30g tank. If this continues very long the angel will stress to the point it's health will readily decline and you could lose him.

For a temp solution you could try removing the festivum, rearrange the tank, then reintroduce the festivum and see if he settles down as he will think he is in a new tank and has no set territory. But in this instance I don't think it will help much if at all and if it does eventually the festivum will revert back to being aggressive.

Or if you can divide your tank right now to keep them seperate that would be a temporary solution.

Alright, I think I will try to give my festivum back to the fish store, but then my tank would seem really empty, do you have any suggestions to replace my festivum?

You should probably add 2-3 more danios, since they are schoolers (y)

Other options would be another angel fish, rainbow fish, certain killi fish, etc.

this is a weird problem because angels and festivums are together in the wild. i had 3 festi in my 55 with 4 angels and they were best buddies. as stated above do some re- arranging. and reintroduce. could be they are coming into maturity also which can cause some agression.

So I have had an angelfish and festivum cichlid together in the same tank for a couple of months, and now, all of a sudden, the festivum won't stop bullying the angelfish.nhe stays on the right sie of the tank and the festivum on the left, but every once and a while the festivum comes over to where angelfish is and chases him out onto the right side, then because angelfish is on the right side, festivum Che's him again back onto the left side.:banghead:this occurs every 15-30min. I don't know why, and I don't want to let my angelfish die. What should I do?.

30 gallon, planted

Has a rainbow shark, an angelfish, a festivum cichlid, and 2x giant danio. Water conditions are fine and I feed them a variety of foods.

Could be wrong but IMO that's too many fish for a 30 gallon, that could be causing the aggression,

Okay the angelfish is about 3-3.5 in. Across so he's decent size. And he's been in the tank for roughly 7.5 months. Same with the danios and rainbow shark. Also, my danios are fine, so I would want to get another fish that could be by itself/not schooling. But ît can't be aggressive because angelfish is super calm(I have never seen him chase anyone EVER)

Here's a picture of my angelfish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 91
The thing is in the wild they are in large groups and wild angels like altum's get much larger than the "color" bred angels we mostly see in the hobby. Plus with only having 1 of each species can be another factor playing into this. Then add the size of the tank and I think the combination of all the above factors is coming into play here.

Yes agreed. So like I said before I think I will get rid of festivum and give him back to the fish store. Any suggestions to replace him That would work well? I was thinking maybe a keyhole cichlid, or some bigger tetras possibly. Would another angelfish work? Or maybe Bolivian rams? I can't decide I have had the worst judgement when getting fish.

IMo you are already stocked and do not have room for more fish that angel aand shark will both reach 6 inches.

Yeah, but isn't the rule 1 in of fish for every gallon. So...
Angelfish 6"
Rainbow 6" (he only stays bottom)
2x giant danio- total of 10"

Total inches of fish is 22" so I thought I still have 6in/ one more fish or like 2-3 tiny ones

It actually doesn't really work like that. It's really just a myth. You have to take into consideration the horizontal and vertical swimming space requirements, and the kind of territory the fish needs to live with the least amount of stress possible.

Alright I'm still kinda new so didn't know that thanks. My tank is 30.25in high x 12.5. Front to back x 18.75 side to side. So, knowing that do I really have any room? With the fish I already have taken into consideration of course

I wouldn't get another angel in that size tank nor any other cichlids except for a pair of Rams. Bolivians would work well. If you get tetra's, which would could do a school of 6 with a pair of Bolivians and the angels, it might be a good idea to remove the angel, rearrange the tank, add the new fish, then add the angel. Same reasoning as above because the older angel will be viewing the tank as it's territory without the festvum and you could have a repeat of whats happening now but with the angel as the aggressor. Rummynose or Cardinal tetra's would well in that size tank. You have to be careful about alot of tetras as they can be nippers. That is why I suggested these two species.

So do you think I could have a single angelfish, 6 rummy nose tetras, a pair of Bolivian rams, 2 giant danios, and my rainbow shark all together in a tank? Or can I only really fit either the rams or the rummy nose tetras. Also where exactly do Bolivian rams swim in the tank? I haven't been able to find an answer online, and if they are mostly the bottom, then my shark may throw a fit.

No that is way over stocked. The angelfish, rummy's, and rams will fill the tank without overstocking it. Rams tend to stay towards the middle bottom. I thought you only had an angelfish and festvum? If you have other fish then you might already be full. So what is your stock list?

No that is way over stocked. The angelfish, rummy's, and rams will fill the tank without overstocking it. Rams tend to stay towards the middle bottom. I thought you only had an angelfish and festvum? If you have other fish then you might already be full. So what is your stock list?

She/he already has a rainbow shark an angel and 2 giant danios. IMO you're already stocked.

Would rams interfere with my rainbow shark at the bottom of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom