Here I go again.. Filter issues this time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicksta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok,
40g tank established 1 year. No new fish. No recent deaths.

Ammonia 0
NitrItes 0
NitrAtes 10

Cloudy water.

I use two HOB filters. My last 'real' pwc I changed one filter completely and washed the other out in the drained water. Vacuumed the gravel, refilled water.
Levels normal.

I noticed cloudy water and checked my levels (approx week after the pwc). NitrAtes are through the roof. Not a biggy, I have dealt with this issue before.
I did an immediate 50% pwc and another 50% the next day. Been doing 25% pwc daily since.
My NitrAtes are still in the 10 range which concerns me. My last time it dropped rather fast and stayed 0.

The water is now looks like it belongs in a stagnent pond.

I did finally get a Fluval 306. I have it ready to hook up but I am unsure if I should until whatever is going on has cleared... However I am thinking I may have a filter not quite running correctly if I am struggling with the NitrAtes.

The only other information I can think that might help:
I use well water to do pwc (Always have).
No live plants.
2 goldfish (Fully aware of their bioload... ugh), 5 tiger barbs, three terta and two bistlenose.

Any suggestions would be rather nice (y)

Vicksta said:
Ok,
40g tank established 1 year. No new fish. No recent deaths.

Ammonia 0
NitrItes 0
NitrAtes 10

Cloudy water.

I use two HOB filters. My last 'real' pwc I changed one filter completely and washed the other out in the drained water. Vacuumed the gravel, refilled water.
Levels normal.

I noticed cloudy water and checked my levels (approx week after the pwc). NitrAtes are through the roof. Not a biggy, I have dealt with this issue before.
I did an immediate 50% pwc and another 50% the next day. Been doing 25% pwc daily since.
My NitrAtes are still in the 10 range which concerns me. My last time it dropped rather fast and stayed 0.

The water is now looks like it belongs in a stagnent pond.

I did finally get a Fluval 306. I have it ready to hook up but I am unsure if I should until whatever is going on has cleared... However I am thinking I may have a filter not quite running correctly if I am struggling with the NitrAtes.

The only other information I can think that might help:
I use well water to do pwc (Always have).
No live plants.
2 goldfish (Fully aware of their bioload... ugh), 5 tiger barbs, three terta and two bistlenose.

Any suggestions would be rather nice (y)

Having Nitrates at 10 ppm is pretty normal, you will never have 0 ppm of Nitrates in a cycled tank.
I don't get what is your concern here.
Regarding the cloudy water, maybe is a bacteria bloom due to the cleaning of the filter, how long have been cloudy?

It has been cloudy for over a week.

I read about the bacterial bloom and I am hoping that is all it is. Should clear up on its own.

I am concerned with putting my new filter in with this going on.
I am normally in the 0 range on my NirAtes and the fact I have levels going on is different from the norm.

Nitrates are never zero unless your tank is heavily planted... are you sure you've been reading the test right? Either way, that is no where near harmful and shouldn't be of any concern... the only real danger is when your nitrates go above 40 ppm. I'm also thinking bacterial bloom since you cleaned out the filters. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Alrighty, I appreciate the swift response!

I will just keep a regular check on my tests until the water clears up.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom