Here is a pic of my betta tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a 10 gal tank split three ways with craft canvas. The outside section house the male bettas, and the middle section house the female. Hope you like them. Thanks for looking.

Cool! I've always loved bettas. Thinking of getting one after we move this summer...

That is such a great idea FWgal! I'll have to keep that tank in mind. I love bettas and would love to have more than one...

Great pictures and beautiful fish!

Just wondered how you have sepreated them. Does the water still cycle appropriately?

BTW Great pics! :D

I went to the store and bought some craft canvas. You can find it like in your craft section at wally world. I used one of those report binder things (it's hard to explain) to keep them in place. They will make it easier to remove and replace the dividers if I ever decided to breed them. Someone on this forum gave me the idea, so I ran with it. I have a aquaclear filter in the middle that kinda keeps the water flowing although I don't think it filters it like it would normally.

Thanks for all the compliments.

I have come across another 10 gal tank and a 5 gal tank, and might just have to do it all over again...lol. It's official, the betta bug has hit me! :wink:

Is there any way to convince you to share with us how you used report binders??? I have three bettas and my 10 gallon will soon be needing some fishies... My guys would sure be happy to move up from 1 gallon bowls!!!

You know awhile back I divided my tank with a tank divider from PetSmart. It was plastic with a ton of tiny holes, even too small for fry to get through. It also had clips to keep it steady in the tank. I think the water was okay in the divided area, but definitely not as good as in the main area. The plastic grew a lot of algae over time, and after my fry were born, I removed the divider.

Freshwatergal, did you say in another post that you used epoxy or something to glue the binder to the side of the tank? That's a good idea!

When I divided my 5.5 gallon for 2 male bettas, I bought a divider for a 10 gallon tank, because I just wanted to use the brackets. I cut them down -- they were too tall -- and I also used the craft dividers because I thought the holes in the divider piece that I bought were too small to allow for good water flow, plus the bettas could see each other too easily. I cut the craft divider to size and put it in the bracket. The bracket, like myriam said, just attached with clips over the edge of the tank. I didn't like this because the cover could not close well. I have since decided that a 5.5 gallon tank is too small for 2 bettas, but I think that the 10 gallon with 3 bettas is perfect! I would think that the report binder is a better bracket than the one I cut down.

Thanks everyone.

By report binder I mean the old school ones where you put like the repot inside a folded plastic cover, and then slide the heavier plastic this over where the bind is, and there ya have it. I didn't use the whole slip thing, I just cut off about 2 inches, 4 times, and aquarium sealed them into place. This way my hood still closes properly, and it doesn't look half bad. It took me about 10 attempts to get it right. I first started out with plexi-glass, but either I trimmed them wrong or something, because there were gaps at the top (the female was the first I put in the tank) and the female betta could swim from one side of the tank to the other (not what I wanted to happen 8O ). But this works great.

We'll have to see if this gets algea on it or not, but so far so good. The holes are still big enough that the betta's can see each other, but I have the males on the outside and the females in the middle, so I think it's all just a bunch of harmless flirting...lol

Good luck to anyone if you decide to take this adventure...you won't be disappointed.

Again, thanks for looking.

Back
Top Bottom