Here We Go Again...Yet Another Disastrous Attempt at a Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to put some Vaseline in the impeller shaft in my AquaClear 110. First thing was to empty the filter (be careful, water will splash) then you twist the motor to the left, and it should come out.

After that, I lifted the green impeller out of the metallic shaft. If you look at the top of the green impeller, it has like to little notches, squeeze them to get the green impeller out, then apply a bit of Vaseline to the shaft where the green impeller was.

After that, I apply a bit of baseline to the metallic shaft where the magnet with the green impeller mounts.

That's what I did to get my filter to quit making that squeezing noise. I think this same instructions came with your filter's manual.

Jeez...is that really what needs to be done to eliminate that sound?

Thanks...

I don't know when I am going to have the time or wherewithal, though, to attempt taking this thing apart...

I know, but I figured it was making the noise due to the lack of lubrication, and Vaseline did it. Do it at your own risk.

I thought you said the manual makes a mention of using the vaseline...

Unless that's not what you said...

Yeah, I was referring in how to take the impeller apart. Well,that's WHAT I DID. Do it at your own risk, or if you find a better way, let me know.

Yeah, I was referring in how to take the impeller apart. Well,that's WHAT I DID. Do it at your own risk, or if you find a better way, let me know.

I misunderstood then; my apologies. :D

Don't order new glass hoods made for an aquarium, just replace the glass pane. You can get glass custom cut to any size at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, True Value, etc. Just measure the thickness and dimensions and you can get a new pane for about $4. You will have to buy a piece of Emory sandpaper and sand the edges of the pane (as they will be sharp) but it only takes about 5 minutes to do that. Wear gloves so you don't cut yourself and do it in the garage or someplace that you can clean up the glass dust easily with a shop-vac. I made custom tops for my 55 for $18 this way.

I don't see any mention of vaseline...

When people give you advice, how about you try it.
Don't over analyse things, don't second guess the wealth of knowledge that has been given to you.

People are kindly offering advice based on thier own experiences.

Time after time you second guess, ask more questions to the point if someone is describing how to make a perfect coffee, you ask "So is it safe to drink?" then follow it up with "So will I need to put the cup to my lips to drink it?"

Put a towel down on the carpet if there are a few splashes, no not you designer ones with the monogram on it, just some old towel that you don't use anymore. Don't make things so complicated. It just takes time to let a tank settle in and mature, don't worry about cloudy water or a little bit of algae...... Just enjoy your fish.

mattrox I understand your frustration however, there is no reason to attack someone for there posts. Simply stop following this thread. People come here because we are friendly and because we give the best advice on the net. I want to keep this reputation and we all started some where give him a break. I will continue to help him and give advice as an owner of a fish store/business its part of what I do.

Wasn't attacking. Was hoping that he could relax and not worry about every permutation and look deeper into relatively simple suggestions and answers.

I'm all for helping, but from what I am have seen this is not the only forum that has multiple posts on the same topics with a plethera of advice. I am a relatively patient person but at some stage ........ anyway.

I may have used sarcasm and tone of voice isn't communicated well on here. I had my tongue firmly in my cheek about the monogramed towels. And I hoped Osage could see the humour in it.

I hope when you rinsed the filter media in tank water... that it wasn't IN the tank?

I realize everyone here is beginning to get sarcastic and seemingly frustrated, so I am accepting that's what you're doing here...

But, no, I didn't rinse the media out IN THE TANK -- give me some more credit than that. :rolleyes:

mattrox I understand your frustration however, there is no reason to attack someone for there posts. Simply stop following this thread. People come here because we are friendly and because we give the best advice on the net. I want to keep this reputation and we all started some where give him a break. I will continue to help him and give advice as an owner of a fish store/business its part of what I do.

Thanks icey; indeed, I took it as an attack as well -- he claims that I am repeatedly "over analyzing" the replies here, and that I am not trying any suggestions being made (which is untrue, because I am, just not all of them based on time, budget or aesthetic factors) and that he claims he "sees" this all over other boards that I may have posted on, but the tone wasn't what I expected of the membership here, who have been up until now, extremely helpful.

I have an update to my situation, so I am going to move beyond this thread and unsubscribe, and report what has happened in a new one.

Thanks for your continued support.

I really do hope you get to enjoy your tank as it is a great size for keeping goldfish. Most goldfish end up in too small a house. They will grow like crazy and be very active. And that is the whole enjoyment, watching happy fish at play.

Back
Top Bottom