hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just got a 35 gallon hex tank and i dont know how to set it up. i havent really seen alot of hex tanks set up so i dont know how i should layer things. i want to create lots of cover in all areas of the tank so that the plants and ornaments are everywhere not just at the bottom. i was thinking about putting 2 shelves at different layers in the tank and siliconing them in so i have different layers to stack the plants on and this would also accommodate all the different levels that some fish like.

i also need to stock this tank and i wasnt sure what is appropriate in a hex tank because it is tall rather than long. what would be a good community tank or even a good species tank? i have 3 other tanks right now so i know what i am doing but i just cant visualize an interesting set up for the tank. it is 31" tall and 18" wide each glass pane is 10" wide. 1 of my tanks is a 20 gal community tank with guppies, platies, mollies, danios, an angel and a red tail shark. the other one is a 10 gal tank with only a black ghost knife in it. 3rd is just a 2 gal betta tank. i am looking for something different than i already have.

any ideas are welcome and pictures are even better :D thanks a bunch

PetsMart has a large selection (at least the one around here does) of tall plants. Our 150 gal tank is 31 inches tall so we bought several tall plants. It helped not make the tank look so empty because of the short plants. I have some pics in my gallery of the tall plants.

Do you plan on getting a 50+ gal tank for the Ghost Knifefish?

In regards to stocking the tank, what interests you? Are you looking for a single larger fish and several smaller fish? See the stocking suggestion sticky at the top of the forum.

a ghost knife shouldn't be kept in a 10 gallon. Nor will it be able to be kept in the 35 gallon tall tank. Anyway for tall tanks I would stay away from fast fish that need longer tanks like danios and other bullet shaped schoolers. And make sure you have good aeration as you have a smaller surface area. You can't really stock a 35 gallon tall the same way you could a 35 gallon long IMO.

the ghost knife is very very small, not even and inch. i plan on getting a 55 gallon in the near future before he outgrows the tank he is in. i was planning on putting a bubble wall in the tank. and i was planning on getting mutiple fish in the tank. i was thinking about a small school of angels maybe even setting it up as a breeding tank.

Back
Top Bottom