Hey everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waverider

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What a GREAT FORUM!!
I have long been a fan of aquariums and I have finally settled into a place where I can setup a tank. I have just gone with a "Top Fin" aquarium kit, 20 gallons to be exact. We have had the tank up for three days now, and I added 5 zebra Danios this morning.

The water is still very cloudy. I washed all the rocks thoroughly before hand along with all the plants. But the water looks very milky...I added all the starter stuff and even tried some of the Jungle Clearqwick stuff. Is this normal?? How long does it usually take to clear up and stabilize?

I have had a 28 year love affair with the ocean, so I am just getting started on my way to salt water sets. I am so pumped what a relaxing hobby!!

Welcome: Try doing a 20 to 30% water change, that will help clear up the water. I have found my tanks clear up after 3 days without fish. I also would stop putting stuff into the tank until its clear.

TwoHobbies said:
Welcome: Try doing a 20 to 30% water change, that will help clear up the water. I have found my tanks clear up after 3 days without fish. I also would stop putting stuff into the tank until its clear.

Yeap, water changes and not adding any more chemicals should clear things up eventually.

There is no need to add chemicals to your water as that can have unaccountable consequences. What you are probably experiencing is an bacteria bloom from cycling your tank. You can do water changes or wait and it will go away given time. It should be harmless.

Welcome to AA! Cycling your tank is the first step. Also cloudiness in a new tank is normal. Once your tank is cycled, you can add more fish. You will need to do frequent water changes to keep your fish healthy.

Back
Top Bottom