hey madasafish, Allivymar, Sati, ferret... (no longer hex'd)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey don't consider it hijacking I am glad for all the responses! :) no I am going to go look for those pics! :)

Just moved it into place. man was that thing heavy on the stairs... Sitting there empty just 'screaming' fill me up.. Haha... unfortunately I am so busy at work. It will be a while before I can go pick up substrate at LFS. Hope to pick up bulbs for balast at the same time.

Got the filter and heater set up. Ready to go shopping for substrate. Having a tougher time deciding about substrate and lighting than I ever thought I would. I am leaning towards 3 bags of Seachem Flourite regular or Red. I might not fill it full of plants right away but don't want to redo substrate when I do get around to getting plants. The ballast is a single so I will probably do my natural light with that one and get a dual for the plant lights.

Any comments? I guess I can just go out and do it and stop asking...... someone push me out the door.. :)

That CO2 is a great system, but not for a tank this size. I used 2 of those for my 55 and finally ditched the ladder diffusers and ran the air line tubing into my canister filter, and it was still not enough CO2, though it improved dramatically. I am now using 2 large juice bottles for DIY CO2 (sturdier than soda bottles) and a powerhead diffuser, and am able to maintain 25-30ppm CO2. I have higher light, so it is important for me, but if I could do it all again, for a tank of this size I would go with pressurized CO2 and be done with it, with a greater initial cost but savings in the long run.

As far as substrate, if you are into a more natural looking tank, go with the regular Fluorite (the red is really, really red!), and you will be all set for your plants. I have done the retro-fit substrate in a big tank thing, and you should save yourself the trouble. You might need more than 3 bags, but use the "sand bed" calculator here on this site and see how many pounds you want. 3" would be ideal, IMO.

Yeah, I use that on my planted 10g and 15g successfully, but a much larger tank will overwhelm it.

Back
Top Bottom