hey sand filter people... i need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Devilish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking to add additional filtration to my 220. Has anyone tryed this item specifically, if not would you, or do you think this is a good deal. I dont have very many sources of information locally as my community isnt into bigger tanks, nor are there many i know in the hobby. Here is the item i found, but id like someone to bounce thought or pick your brain about it...

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/FluidizedSandFilter.html

ForumRunner_20120819_005317.jpg

Pic of my tank...

Fluidized Sand Filters are excellent BIO-FILTERS, but that is all. They do not perform mechanical, nor chemical, filtration. If you are just looking to beef up your bio capability they are a very good way to go.

So question... Ive had to learn this all on my own... If you had to pick, what mechanical, what chemical, and what bio filtration would you use... Big tank...

Von Devilish said:
So question... Ive had to learn this all on my own... If you had to pick, what mechanical, what chemical, and what bio filtration would you use... Big tank...
Sump

Von Devilish said:
Also, a fluidized sand filter in simplist description is an external undergravel filter...?
No. An UGF does not keep the substrate bed "fluidized" (constantly moving).

I agree with the sump, plus the extra water volume is nice, and it gives you a place to hide your heater and whatnot. Another thing to do is heavily plant the tank, but I don't know how that'd work out with all of those fish. At some point with that stock it might be more feasible to just step up to a larger tank rather than upgrade biofiltration methods.

Back
Top Bottom