Hi nitrates in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have really high nitrates in my tap, like close to or equal 40. Other than RO/ DI which my hubby would never go for because of the expense, are their chemicals or anything to add to lower nitrates? I do a 50% pwc on all my tanks (55 gal on down) weekly but I think I'm still behind the 8 ball.

I cannot believe your tap water has 40ppm if you have city water! City water has specs on the tap water! More likely, if you have city water your Nitrates are under 10ppm. What test kit are you using? Is it within the expiration date? Check your test kit using bottled water. Bottled water houd read 0ppm Nitrates! As Blert asked, are you on well water? Only water changes reduce Nitrates! If you really have 40ppm Nitrates, you will never get below that number!

Also, check with your water municipality for their water specs. They must issue a report annually!

I use tap water and don't have access to a well. I rechecked my tap and it showed a strong 20 on nitrates.

I did a 50% pwc and complete gravel vac on my 55 Gal this am and it just tested 20 also. I guess I should check it daily to see when it creeps up.

Prime water conditioner reduces the toxicity of nitrates, and can be dosed to 5 times regular dosage in a nitrate emergency, maybe using 1.5 times dose will make your tap water a bit less toxic for your poor fish?
Also have you considered adding some fast growing plants? they consume nitrates and would help keep it from creeping up as fast.
Or does anyone know if a brita tap filter removes nitrates? I know they are supposed to remove chlorine and heavy metals, maybe they would take out some of the nitrates too??

jetajockey said:
I'd look into moderately planting the tank, it's the best solution by far.

Yes, I think that's a good idea.

For substrate it's a mix of gravel and sand. I know nothing about live plants in aquariums other than my moss balls. Can plants grow in rocky sand? I have more sand left over from when I first set up the tank and can start removing gravel and replacing it with the sand. I assume a quarter of the tank at a time so not to mess up the BBs.

I do think java moss of gorgeous and would love a carpet of that. Can that go on my gravel/ sand base?

High Nitrates

Have really high nitrates in my tap, like close to or equal 40. Other than RO/ DI which my hubby would never go for because of the expense, are their chemicals or anything to add to lower nitrates? I do a 50% pwc on all my tanks (55 gal on down) weekly but I think I'm still behind the 8 ball.

Hello jen...

I think you're worried about nothing. Nitrates at the level you have aren't toxic to your fish. If they were twice that and remained at that level for a couple of weeks, then you might have a problem. IMHO, just remove and replace at least half the water in the tank every week and the water chemistry will be fine.

I have several 55 G tanks and haven't tested the water in a long time. That's because I follow a strict water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank volume every week. That way, there's no time for pollutants to build up in the water before the next change.

Pretty simple, really.

B

Thanks for the replies and support. I picked up a few plants at Petsmart for now and will add them this morning. The light on my hood saw 8,000 K full spectrum so maybe they'll make it. As long as they don't rot it can't hurt.

Added some real aquatic plants from the excellent LFS near my work. Looking forward to seeing how the nitrates do.

jen31972 said:
Added some real aquatic plants from the excellent LFS near my work. Looking forward to seeing how the nitrates do.

I have well water and my nitrates are always 40-80ppm (I can never tell the difference between the two colors). So it doesn't matter how many water changes I do they are always 40-80. I have a 5 gallon fluval chi. I planted Anubias and lemon Bacopa a few weeks ago. They are really just now starting to grow so maybe they will help. I'm trying to find a surface plant that will devour nitrates but I don't know.. My tank doesnt have a big surface area. One good thing is I haven't had to buy plant fertilizer since my water has plenty of nitrates!

I know they make something that's supposed to remove nitrates chemically, I just don't want to use chemicals. My betta fish seems to be doing fine. He's always swimming and eager to eat. Has real good coloring... I'm having a diatom outbreak at the moment and I'm slightly happy. I hope they eat some of the nitrates! LOL!

IMHO, just remove and replace at least half the water in the tank every week and the water chemistry will be fine.

I have several 55 G tanks and haven't tested the water in a long time. That's because I follow a strict water change routine by removing and replacing half the tank volume every week. That way, there's no time for pollutants to build up in the water before the next change.

Pretty simple, really.

B

Some of the best advice you will hear. Plus adding plants.

Plants are helping. Nitrates now below what's in the tap water. Thanks, guys.

My ammonia is up a bit though. Probably from over-feeding.

Back
Top Bottom