Hi, virgin poster here =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHARKDIVER

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I know this is the getting started forum, and although I am not exactly "getting started" I thought this was an appropriate forum for my question, sorry if it's in the wrong forum. I am not really new to fish or aqariums but having not owned a tank in some 12 years I have noticed equipment which may not be new, but is new to me...such as protein skimmers. Now from what limited information I can gather they seem to be a saltwater thing. Or so I thought, I have read some debate as to wether or not they can be benificial in a freshwater tank. Which is what I have...so my two questions are, first and formost what in the world are they for and what do they do, besides the obvious from their name. Second question, is this something that could be benificial in my freshwater aquarium.

A little info on my aquarium may be needed, 50 gallon bowfront tank (will be a 200+ gallon tank within the next two weeks) residents in the tank are as follows 2 Tiger Oscars about 3 months old and approx. 2-3 long. 1 Albino Oscar of same age and size. Two Peacock Bass 4 months old and about the same size, and one Plecostomus about 4-5 inches long, age unknown. One air pump, supplying air to a full lenth stone (approx 35 inches long across the back of the tank) Tetra heater, and Hot Magnum filter, which I believe to not be enough filtration for the greedy messy eaters I have in the tank. Feeding goes as follows, Oscars get pellets twice daily (Spectrum sinking Ciclid Pellets morning, and Tetra Floating pellets in the afternoon) The Plecostomus seems to be more of a dominant eater when I use the sinking pellets hence the use of floating pellets too. Peacock bass get 6 small feeder fish once every other day.

So, is a protein skimmer something I would want to invest in? Pros and cons?

I know this post was long, but I figured the more info I provide the more accurate answers I will get, and I don't mean to be rude but please only answer if you are truely knowledged in aquarium care, I don't need some answer I could have gotten from the 15 year old kid at the local fish store. Thanks in advance for the help :D

Oh yeah, another piece of equipment I was curious about is what I believe is called a power head...again same two questions...function and needed or not.

A skimmer would be totally ineffective in a fw tank. Thats about all the help I can give as im more SW than FW.

I don't use power heads. Their function is to agitate the water's surface. If your filters are up to snuff, you will be fine.
What filter(s) are you using?

[center:9f4ae695b6] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, SHARKDIVER! :n00b: [/center:9f4ae695b6]

powerhead can filter with a ug plate. i havent had any exp with this but still im sure its really annoying having to clean up the thingy.

Protien Filters removes microscopic particulate from salt water. Because Freshwater does not exhibit the same properties as salt water does, this device cannot function in a fresh water tank.

Powerheads are used in a Saltwater tank to increase the flow of water through the tank. Salt water fish are used to lots of current from waves crashing around, the tide, etc. Powerheads are used to turn the water over up to 20 times an hour. Most freshwater fish cannot take this much current and will not fair well with this type of setup.

For a 200 gallon freshwater tank full of Oscars, you will need alot of Filtration. Probibly your best bet will be a couple of large Canister Filters. Research those first.

I just pulled out the last of my powerheads and UGF's from all my tanks, they are a pain in the rear, dirty, ineffective, and a waste of money for FW fish. The only reason to have a powerhead is if you have a FW river fish species that needs alot of current in the tank. IMO they're good for little else. You should already have plenty of surface agitation with an air pump. I believe everyone else covered the skimmer question

You're going to have to go with a couple of large canister filters like RocketSeason said for a 200 gallon aquarium. If you have messy fish like cichlids basically you can never have too much filtration. If you find some good canisters you should see most of your problems dissappear once you get them in that big tank.

Sorry I haven't responded in a while, thanks for all the great advice, I have upgraded my filters and all the fish are now in the new tank, all is well and I don't have any of my previous problems. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom