Hidey fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanz8anz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a pair of kirbs in my tank and they were all happy swimming around together both had beauitful colours but over the past couple of days the female has been no where to been seen. She will come out very breifly and i noticed her plump round belly has gotten slim. The male hangs around were she has been hiding.

Can anybody shed some light on this and is this normal behaviour for the 2 or do i havd an upset fish?

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am actually rather concerned that she is unwell or really unhappy... i dont think they r breeding as the male isnt displaying agression he is rather mellow just swimming off to peck in the gravel and then.head back if she comes out he will stay by the hidey whole.. they are not fighting with each other the other fish arent fighting with her either everything seems normal apart from the fact shes not out swimming with him and went skinny overnight im not sure what could cause this

Yea i did wonder if they could havrme started to breed but shes only been with him just a week they faught to start with for a few minutes and then have been happy ever since until i noticed her not swimming around with him and hiding in the sunken aircraft carrier... ive never bred them before so i dont no what i should b seeing she cmes out occasionally to peck in the gravel..

But if they have started to breed is it normal for her to lose the fat tummy it literally happened overnight one dayvshe was beauitfully chubby and the next she was slim

I am just trying to figure out how to attach the pics to this topic its only giving me the option for a new topic

Well that's why I think she laid her eggs because unless you feed her massive amounts to make her stomach fat day after day, then she must've been pregnant, she could've been pregnant when you bought her.

The “krib” is one of the most common and easy to keep of the constellation of Pelmatochromis/Pelvicachromis genera in the hobby. This fish is very hardy, adapt to almost any water conditions and will breed in wet cotton. Only the convict cichlid is on a par with the krib for being easy to breed. And, like the convict, the krib will spawn and raise its babies in a community tank, much to the suffering and discomfort of the rest of the tankmates.

Males have long extensions to the dorsal and anal fins, and females — especially when they are in a breeding mood — get bright reddish bellies. If you have a pair in a community tank and they start showing their breeding colors, they will soon have all the other fish in the tank cornered. They spawn in caves, so you should provide them with an upturned flowerpot, a coconut shell or something where the entrance is small and the ceiling is pretty low. It takes about a week for the babies to become free-swimming, at which point the parents will lead their new offspring around the tank, pointing them in the direction of possible food and keeping intruders at bay.

Totally undemanding about pH or hardness, the only thing to consider is that if you want an equal distribution of males and females from a litter of babies, the pH needs to be just about neutral at 7.0. Any deviation of more than 0.2 degrees will shift the sex ratio of the spawn considerably. The krib will eat almost anything, but seems to do best on a diet consisting of flakes supplemented by frozen bloodworm or brine shrimp. At some point in your fishkeeping you should definitely have kribs at least once.

Hidey fish pics

First pic is a male second pic is the female she is harder to get photos of this photo was taken a couple of days ago before she decided to go hiding and the pic of the male was taken just after i realised she was hiding...

Attachments

• 1391542083447.jpg
    1391542083447.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 1391542180588.jpg
    1391542180588.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
I have put another post with the pics..

We had her for 3 weeks before adding her to the commuinty tank as i stumbled across her when talking to the local aquarium shop and they said they had a female kirb but she was small and had been bullied in a tank of gouramis so i went and got her and put her in our other tank that just had a bristlenose in there were she got more confident and bigger and started to get colour then we introduced her.. neither of the kirbs come to the surface to eat they peck at the bottom unless of coursevi feed blood worms and then the male comes up.. i wpuld have thought if she was protecting eggs that he would b agressive towards other tank mates

Some fish just know to stay away, I wouldn't be surprised if they did breed. Her changing colors deff points that out. I would just wait a week and a half, and see what happens, don't mess with her tho. I would probably move the other fish as they will see her babies as food. She will protect them but she can't protect all of them

I dont have a big enough tank for the other fish.. were u able to c the pics of the 2 fish?

Im.not sure of her colour now as i dont c her long enough to look..

The male will chase other fish if they get to close to the aircraft carrier but thats about it

I couldn't find the thread, but I'm going with breeding, congrats you might be an aunt/uncle :) I'm 90% sure they bred and are just protecting the eggs

The thread name was hidey fish pics in general discussion..

Welk this is going to be a long week of waiting well its been happening since monday so im already a few days in. Any other fish that have bred in my tanl have done so without me knowing until babies appear

There was breifly we went away for a few days came back and the female was out swimming and si was the male neither looked to have fry next ti them and then that night i caught a glimpse if these tiny swimmers but they were unprotected by mum and dad and unfortuneately i think the other fish ate them :( but the flashing of the belly and the males shimmy behaviour has started again so who knows maybe next time found they will parent tge fry

Back
Top Bottom