hiding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awesomefazekas

Aquarium Advice Regular
my gourami, plattys, mollys, and tetras are all hiding behind plants in back and swimming extremely close to the substrate and they are all in corners what do I do to make them swim out in the open

They're usually stressed when they do this. Did you just recently get them?
If you did, they just need to acclimate to their new surroundings.
Most fish also get spooked by lots of movement in front of the tank, the moment you turn the lights on, lights too bright, etc.

How long has the tank been set up? How are your water parameters? What's the temp?

I had the same thing happen with some gold tetras. They would only come out to feed. Then I picked up some danios (long fine blue) and then the tetras became more sociable. I believe the danios serve as dither fish; this is a technique often used with shy cichlids. The dither fish swim in the open and appear to give the other fish the "all clear" signal.
Not advocating the addition of stock since I don't know where you are stock wise; just a suggestion.

The tank has been set up 8 months and heater is shorting out so i need to put more warmer water in every day so I'd say on adverage temp is 70 parameters are 3,0,1 and idk whats going on i need to restock tetras i lot a few so now i only have 3

The tank has been set up 8 months and heater is shorting out so i need to put more warmer water in every day so I'd say on adverage temp is 70 parameters are 3,0,1 and idk whats going on i need to restock tetras i lot a few so now i only have 3
Temp could have something to do with it, new behavior? What's. 3,0,1? Amm is 3 ppm? A school of 6 is recommended with tetras that could be a reason too.

I think the "3, 0, 1" is the cause of the problem... We need some clarification about what this means. What are you using to test your water, and what are these levels of? Usually when people list 3 numbers for their water parameters, it is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, in that order. Ammonia and nitrite are very poisonous and any amount of them is very dangerous to fish.

Advise you get a good test kit. Get your water stable, temp, ph, ammonia (0), nitrite (0), nitrates <20, Kh & Gh. Then worry about the fish, although at that stage they will probably be fine. Good luck.

3ppm of ammonia is quite high , any way you could do a couple/3 50% water changes to get it down? Your fish will be happy happy with 0ppm;)

Get a new heater and do (3) 50% water changes-at least. 3ppm ammonia is quite high, and not a good sign. Don't worry about restocking the tetras until you've got the heater, and the ammonia under control.
If you've lost a few, that could easily be the cause of the excess ammonia. I would reduce feeding as well until ammonia drops to 0. Once you get it down in the .25ppm range, the bacteria should catch up and take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom