Hiding gold nugget pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So decided to splurge on an expensive fish for my 75 gallon tank a month ago and buy a gold nugget pleco. Figured he would be like my bristlenose. Hiding a lot but still occasional present. Well a month later and never leaves his plastic cave. Can't even see him cause he curls up in a ball on the top part. Only reason I know he is alive is cause I see pleco size poop in cave. Don't even see him eat or leave cave when lights are out. No fish that should scare him. He and brown knife fish are biggest in tanks. Would it be cruel to remove that cave. I mean I would like to see my 60 dollar fish occasionally. Is there anything I can do to make him a lil less reclusive?

So decided to splurge on an expensive fish for my 75 gallon tank a month ago and buy a gold nugget pleco. Figured he would be like my bristlenose. Hiding a lot but still occasional present. Well a month later and never leaves his plastic cave. Can't even see him cause he curls up in a ball on the top part. Only reason I know he is alive is cause I see pleco size poop in cave. Don't even see him eat or leave cave when lights are out. No fish that should scare him. He and brown knife fish are biggest in tanks. Would it be cruel to remove that cave. I mean I would like to see my 60 dollar fish occasionally. Is there anything I can do to make him a lil less reclusive?

They are nocturnal and will hide all day. Just typical nocturnal pleco behavior.

I feel for your plight. I think some fish are just more timid than others. Removing the cave might make him more visible to you, but a shy fish with no place to hide is a stressed out fish.

I have a Molly that was super social and active while she was in the quarantine tank, but hides by the filter intake in the corner of her permanent home. She only sneaks out to eat.
Fortunately for me, she's a $1 Molly and not a $75+ Pleco.

I say give it time and hope for the best. Forcing things would likely make it worse.

Good luck

How big is it? If it's >3 inches I would leave the cave.
Smaller fish are more prone to dieing from stress. If he's bigger, take the cave out and enjoy!

How big is it? If it's >3 inches I would leave the cave.
Smaller fish are more prone to dieing from stress. If he's bigger, take the cave out and enjoy!

That is kinda cruel to a fish that is shy. Forcing it out into the open and depriving it of it's only hiding space. Give it some time and maybe he will come out.

You could also try dimming your lights for a while. If he comes out , slowly bring them back up over a couple days, or only light half the tank.

I never see him even when lights are off. Only time I see a part of him is when I do water changes. Have to pick up his cave and vacuum cause covered in poop. He is bigger then 3 inches

They do have personalities so. It's up to you what you do. Maybe some tanks mates would help bring him out. I don't have large enough hiding spots for mine so he sits under a rock in the shade. You could make other hiding spots that you can see to. Slate also attracts algae so you could get like a slate bridge or just a bridge decor and take out the cave.

Got plenty of tank mates. Maybe the zebra loaches annoy him. They are so active and all over the place.

How's the gold nugget doing? I just got one and am having similar issues

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How's the gold nugget doing? I just got one and am having similar issues

This thread is a bit old mate.

Pleco's hide. It's a fact. When I had one it hid 24/7 and sometimes would come out for food.

As said above they are nocturnal so don't be surprised if you don't see with tank lights on.

I love zebra pleco but this is the only thing holding me back from getting a pleco again, pleco hide too much for me.

Caleb

I know it is old but I'm curious to know if the original poster still has the Pleco and if the fish became more visible

Back
Top Bottom