Hiding neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidsoccer22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have 4 neons in my tropical tank. They were all quite happy and still are except for 1 who is hiding under some leafy plants. He comes out occasionally but spends the rest of the time hiding. Please help!

Davidsoccer22 said:
Have 4 neons in my tropical tank. They were all quite happy and still are except for 1 who is hiding under some leafy plants. He comes out occasionally but spends the rest of the time hiding. Please help!

I didn't have neons but a bunch of tetras. They his all the time until I turned the light off. They preferred natural light from the window much better. Not sure in your case are they being bullied?

I'm not to sure, they sometimes get chased by some white clouds bit are never hurt

Davidsoccer22 said:
I'm not to sure, they sometimes get chased by some white clouds bit are never hurt

I think a bigger question is why isn't he schooling. My guess is that he's just stressed. Did you just get him

What size tank is this?

And he could be bullied by the black tetras (I'm presuming you mean black skirt tetra, right?) They can be nippers and slightly aggressive. Especially if you don't have a school of them to keep them happy. Maybe up their numbers along with the neon tetras numbers.

No it's a black tetra not skirt the tank is 25 gallon or 120litre

Oh, sorry then. Um... tried looking "black tetra" up. It's comes up as a common name for black skirt tetra. Do you mean Gymnocorymbus ternetzi? Or do you have the false black tetra?

Sorry, common names for fish cause confusion. Just trying to help out if it is other fish cause stress.

It is a specially bred type that were discovered in the amazon as a deformed version of the skirt tetra. They are pretty much the same except the skirt is much more aggressive. Would you recommend isolating the neon in a seperate tank?

This is the black tetra

Attachments

• image-2225869516.jpg
    image-2225869516.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 79
Well, to be fair, four neons is at best, two too few, increase the school to, 8 I'd say and see if he doesn't come out. Worst is he's sick and not going to survive, but at a fortnight, he may just be timid and need more buddies to feel safe.

I just checked my tank and he's swimming around like all the others and I can't even tell which one he was.

Back
Top Bottom