hiding places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up my 10g quarantine tank this weekend and had read that flower pots can be used for hiding places. Would a terracotta flower pot be ok or should it be plastic or something else? Just want to make sure I don't put anything in the tank that might harm the fish.

i've seen tons of tanks with terracotta. never used it myself. anything you question though, i've heard you can just drip some vinegar on it and if it fizzes it's no good. never tried it, just heard it from several people on here.

If you are setting up a quarantine tank then I wouldn't add any type of decor. I keep my 10g almost completely bare when it is set up. Also, keeping it bare bottomed is a lot easier to keep clean. You are just adding one more object you will have to sterilize after you have finished QT'ing your fish/inverts.

Plain terra cotta is fine. I'd be cautious about using any glazed pots.

Also PVC is a cheap way for hiding spots and work well.

I agree.

If you are setting up a quarantine tank then I wouldn't add any type of decor. I keep my 10g almost completely bare when it is set up. Also, keeping it bare bottomed is a lot easier to keep clean. You are just adding one more object you will have to sterilize after you have finished QT'ing your fish/inverts.

We keep some pots and PVC around to use in QT just to give the fish a "resting" area. They're cheap enough to throw away when the fish are deemed "good" and moved. We even had apistos spawn in a PVC "log"! lol

Good point HN1. I usually use some trimmings of floating stem plants and mosses to provide some areas for them to hide in. When I remove them from QT I simply throw the plants away.

Back
Top Bottom