High ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Had my 64 litre tank for about 9 months now. After it was cycled it has been great reading zero ammonia all the time. A couple of weeks back we added a new balloon Molly to the tank. A couple of days after noticed that the fish looked stressed and found it was testing at 1+!

Started 50% water changes but even two weeks later it is still testing at 0.5 after 24 hours and two fish have died.

I have put a new and bigger filter in in case the old one is not working but obviously that will take a few weeks to get going.

Is there anything else I can do apart from keep changing the water?

You can add Prime, it helps detoxify ammonia. And I think I heard something about a lower water temp lowering the ratio of ammonia to ammonium. When you say you put in a new filter, did you take the old one out?

--Adeeb

Is there a dead fish stuck somewhere in the tank? You really need to identify the cause of the problem instead of treating the symptoms.

Yep that's what I'm trying to determine. Definitely no dead fish around all present and correct. Also cut back feeding to a tiny pinch every 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom