High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to thwe pet store and the lady said I have really high ammonia level so she gave me ammo lock. She said the fish might die, the fish are 4 glofish and 1 nerite snail in a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. If they die what new fish should I get?
Are dwarf cories good? Chili rasboras?
Thanks so much

Fish Tank

I went to thwe pet store and the lady said I have really high ammonia level so she gave me ammo lock. She said the fish might die, the fish are 4 glofish and 1 nerite snail in a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. If they die what new fish should I get?
Are dwarf cories good? Chili rasboras?
Thanks so much

Hello fish...

Consider a larger tank, at least a 20 gallon. 30 would be better. You'll have a much greater chance for success.

B

Get that tank cycled and than let's talk dwarf Cory's;) maybe some shrimp too..

I know im trying to save my current fish, and im doing a 10% water change daily until there is no ammonia. Also im using Ammo Lock every 2 days.
the fish seem to be getting better and the ammonia is lowering

I know im trying to save my current fish, and im doing a 10% water change daily until there is no ammonia. Also im using Ammo Lock every 2 days.
the fish seem to be getting better and the ammonia is lowering

10% water change whilst high ammonia is about as useful as a chocolate kettle!!!! 50% minimum change.

Also you are very limited to fish choice in a 6g.
DO RESEARCH!!!

Yes, 10% is really not going to cut it.. You need to test and change accordingly.. Ammo lock will not save your fish. Only you and a siphon have the power to heal;)

10% water change whilst high ammonia is about as useful as a chocolate kettle!!!! 50% minimum change.

Also you are very limited to fish choice in a 6g.
DO RESEARCH!!!

Lmao !!! I never heard that one before.

All else aside, RESEARCH first !!!!! If it were my tank, min of 30% and preferably 50% WC's at least twice a day.

P.S. Is it cycled ? How long has it been running ?

Hi, Fish_Fan, first thing I would suggest is to buy a freshwater master test kit. Every aquarium has to go through a nitrogen cycle.

Nitrogen cycle explained:
http://youtu.be/zisABwEfv54

Here is how you test your water:
http://youtu.be/ZPiDRid_Km8

If you haven't cycled your tank, Dr. Tim makes a good product:
http://youtu.be/01Spt-TiC28

This is why other products that claim you can add fish immediately don't work:
http://youtu.be/kPxExG-FbvI

Here is how to do water changes:
http://youtu.be/v9lc7YnJK58

I saw you earlier posted about plants and fish suggestions and about a Fluval Edge 6 gallon.

And, I agree java fern and Anubis will be good plants to start with. You keep the the thick fleshy part of root above water or put it on a rock with a hair net, the brown stringy stuff is all that goes in the gravel.

Right now I definitely would not add more fish and probably not for a few months. A lot of us started small and then found out the fish we were sold were for bigger tanks or the fish we wanted needed bigger tanks. So, I would get a library book about tropical fish and check out all the possibilities.

ok so I tested my water again today and the ammonia was still dark green even after I did a 65% water change and used my gravel vac. What are other ways to keep ammonia down other than wc. Also what other foods can I feed my glo fish besides flakes and live foods?

Really you have to keep on top of the water changes to get ammonia down. How much are you feeding now? Make sure there's no uneaten food.

ok so I tested my water again today and the ammonia was still dark green even after I did a 65% water change and used my gravel vac. What are other ways to keep ammonia down other than wc. Also what other foods can I feed my glo fish besides flakes and live foods?

So in order to answer your question I need more info about things because I view so many posts, sometimes I can't keep track of what the scenario is.

How long is tank running ?
How many fish in tank ?
What kind of fish ?
What size tank ?
Any chemicals added to water during WC's ?
How many-frequency-volume of WC's per day/week/month ?
What test kit are you using ?
Do you age water ?
Are you on city or well ?
What is water tested out of tap ?
What kind of filter ?
What filter media ?

I can spend lots of your money by telling you to buy products or we can figure out something cheaper.

1.Running for 1 month
2. 4
3.glo-fish danios, i know they need a 20 i made bad mistake
4.Fluval Edge 6 gallon
5. Dechloriner
6.25% water change weekly
7. No test kit ( can't but 1 right now)
8.?
9.City
10.Don't have test kit
11.The filter that came with the aquarium, Hagen Fluval edge 6g
12.white foam on bottom, then activated carbon and then on top whitish pebbles in a mesh bag all came with kit

As for now im doing daily 60% wc

Fish_fan you dont seem to have a clue to care about fish. U should seriously do some research before gettin more fish. Your saying if u fail to keep fish alive the first thing your thinking of is what new fish can u get? What makes you think they aint gonna die either??. . First off. Them fish produce massive amounts of ammonia. For to have them in a tank that size I'm guessing a water change almost everyday. Why would u want to do that. Best off giving them away untill u get a bigger tank and better filter. Do u know about the nitrogen cycle? Cycle your tank first. If u cant afford bigger tank just get a smaller fish. ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So i keep checking my water daily and its been over 8.0ppm. So now i keep doing 2 daily 30-60% pwc and its still that dark green and over 8.0ppm. Oh my test kit is API Ammonia liquid test kit. So what should i do?!? Im not over feeding and i vac my gravel weekly with pwc. Please helpIf i change my water to a certain point, the filter stops because the intake tube is too high compared to the water lvl. PLEASE HELP

8ppm is really bad. Sorry.

Can you post a pic of your tank, the filter part of your tank and your test results? How many fish are in the tank now?

Keep doing the water changes. Skip a day feeding them.

Can u buy an air pump? If yes, Mr. Fisher sells seeded sponge filters in the classifieds. The sponge filter will need tubing and an air pump, but if you use a seeded filter your aquarium should stabilize very rapidly.

I'm going to go google some things about the fluval 6. I'll edit if I get any.

Edit: I found a lot of posts about nitrogen cycle difficulties with the fluval edge 6 aquarium. That doesn't mean there is a problem with the tank, but it does mean that a picture of your filter system on that tank can get you better help. There might be more room for more bioMax. One of the more experienced AA members can look at the pic and advise you.

From what I've been reading I think adding an air pump and (seeded) sponge long term would be of great assistance for stability.

Edited: The problem you describe. Just unplug your filter and definitely always unplug your heater when doing your water change.

Back
Top Bottom